Concatenation problems

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
Stefan

Concatenation problems

Post by Stefan »

Hi Forum.

All of sudden the PDF COnverter won't concatenate documents anymore.
Instead i creates another file with the suffix .cat.
I.e. if i have a document named doc.pdf and want to append to it with the CONCATENATE flag (0x0004) i doesn't append to doc.pdf but creates a file named doc.pdf.cat.
Any suggestions?

Regards
Stefan
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello Stefan,

Please update your current version of the PDF Converter. This should help.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I did.
I downloaded the latest version today actually and I still have the problem.
Version 2.10c
Using the flag 0x2000 APPENDEXISTING doesn't work either.
I just don't get it.

Regards
Stefan :cry:
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

AppendToExting should work. Please use the decimal value 8192 instead of the Hexadecimal one 2000.

Also please check that the file name you are providing in FileNameOptions exists on your system so the generated pdf file will be appended to it.

Concatenate (4) also should work with version 2.10c of the PDF Converter.

There is no known problems on this level.

There was a problem with concatenation in an older version of the driver and this is solved in version 2.08.

Please check that you properly installed the new version, if the problem persists please send the generated pdf file to our Support Dertment support@amyuni.com so they can check it.

Thanks.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I am experiencing this same problem.

I just purchased and downloaded version 2.10c yesterday. I had already written code that worked with the demo version. Now the live version gives me a PDF file and then puts the remaining printed output in a ".pdf.cat" file.

I am attempting to concatenate several printed items to one PDF for display. The PDF file does not exist initally until the first printed item is output. That creates the PDF. But any remaining reports are sent to the same named ".pdf.cat" file.

I have tried using both the Concatenate flag and the value 8192 as suggested above. The exact flags I am using are NoPrompt + UseFilename + Concatenate. This worked with the demo and a previous version of the PDF Converter (1.59) we have been using for about 2 years.

This occurs with both the ActiveX interface and the DLL interface. I am using Visual Basic 6.0.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Some additional information.

When I try to send multiple reports to be concatenated into one PDF, the first report is output to the PDF and the last is output to the ".pdf.cat" file but all reports in between the first and last are lost.

For example, if I try to print 4 reports into one PDF, report 1 is output to the PDF as it should, report 4 is output to the ".pdf.cat" file, and reports 2 and 3 are missing from the output altogether.
Keith

Post by Keith »

And before I forget...

This is on a PC running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1.
lp

Post by lp »

I've experienced the same kind of behaviour using PDF Converter 2.50f on a XP Pro SP2 computer.
In my situation cdintf.dll resides only in the application folder, along with the other required DLLs.
We didn't use the provided installer to avoid registering cdintf.dll as we don't use the activex interface and we'd like to avoid potential conflicts in our customers' systems. So we create the printer through the driver itself (using pdfdriverinit/driverinit)..
In this setup normal PDF printing works as expected, but when activating the "append" flag we get the same trouble of having the 2 output files without real concatenation.
A look with FileMonitor from sysinternals showed that the driver is looking for cdintf250.dll, instead of using the one in the application folder (from which the printer was created)
It looks strange to me that it has to look for that "versioned" file instead of cdintf.dll..
:idea: Anyway the workaround was to create a copy of cdintf.dll named cdintf250.dll in the same folder (the folder our application is in)... :D
HTH
Have a nice day!
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

I am not sure what you mean by 'Append' flag.

Wether you are using the ActiveX or Dll interface of CDIntf, you need to rename CDIntf to CDIntf250.dll and store it in your application directory or in the system directory.

Storing CDIntf250.dll in the system directory and registering it is required only if you are using the ActiveX interface.

Hope this helps.
lp

Post by lp »

You got the point: having the cdintf.dll renamed cdintf250.dll in my application folder resolved the issue.

Oh, I should have written "concatenate", not "append".. :wink:

Anyway, what I wanted to point out is that in my previous situation (that is, having the dll in my application's folder named cdintf.dll) I got the troubles I described only when I was printing to the PDF file while concatenating to an existing one.
My surprise was about the fact that everything else worked fine, even without the renaming to "cdintf250", if I didn't enable that "concatenate" flag..
I just wondered why, while concatenating, it should look for a different dll (cdintf250), but you may say it's only curiosity :D

Thank you for the reply, have a nice day
Luca
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

There are some operations that are done only through the driver (by example printing to the PDF Printer). These operations do not use CDIntf.

There are some other operations (like merging documents, concatenating, encryption, ect...) that are done through CDIntf and that will look for the right version of CDIntf on the system.

So, if "Everything Else" that "worked fine" are operations that only use the driver this explains why you were not getting any messages related to missing CDIntf or so.
lp

Post by lp »

Crystal clear, thanks a lot!
:D

Luca