Append PDF/A files

The PDF Creator enables you to create secure PDF documents and to view, print and process existing PDF documents.
If you have any questions about the installation and usage of the PDF Creator please post them here.
aroncox

Append PDF/A files

Post by aroncox »

Windows 8.1, Amyuni PDF Suite ActiveX 5.0.1.9, PowerBuilder 12.5

I need to be able to append a bunch of PDF files into one, and this has been working well so far using Append. However now a couple of the files I want to append have been created as PDF/A files and it is failing on these. Can anyone suggest a way of handling this?

Things I can think of are:

How do you determine if a PDF file is a PDF/A before doing anything with it? Does Amyuni have something I can call to determine this?

Can I convert a PDF/A to a standard PDF using Amyuni? If so, how?

Can / Should I do a different type of append, i.e. extracting pages into a new document?

Any ideas would be great! Thanks
Jose
Amyuni Team

Re: Append PDF/A files

Post by Jose »

Hello,
I have verified your issue with our current v5.5 version of the Amyuni PDF Creator and PDF Converter products and I was able to successfully append a combination of PDF documents that were PDF\A and not PDF\A.

Can you test your issue with an evaluation version v5.5?

Version v5.5 exposes a method to verify if a PDF document is PDF\A. I have included a VBS code snippet that illustrates this.

Code: Select all

'Constants for Activation codes
Const strLicenseTo = "Amyuni Tech Eval"
Const strActivationCode = "07EFCDAB01000100FB0841E772A5FDC96C023E0C9C2E53F235719C2E3A4F4653C93F512EC24A1F3B864FE74002ECF3BC499975DD2A92"

Dim pdfobj  

'Dyaniclly create PDF Creator Object
Set pdfobj = CreateObject("PDFCreactiveX.PDFCreactiveX.5.5")

'Open the document
pdfobj.Open "C:\Projects\text_only_pdfa.pdf", ""

with pdfobj

.setlicensekey strLicenseTo, strActivationCode

'PDFALevel
	'0	None
	'1	PDFA-1
	'3	PDFA-3

With pdfobj.GetObjectByName("Document")
       MsgBox "PDFALevel: " & .Attribute("PDFALevel")
    End With

'PDFAConformance
	'0	None
	'65	PDFA-na
	'66	PDFA-nb
	'65 PDFA-nu
	'Note: n = PDFALevel
	With pdfobj.GetObjectByName("Document")
       MsgBox "PDFAConformance: " & .Attribute("PDFAConformance")
    End With

end with
set pdfobj = nothing
PDF\A basically means that the PDF document was generated with particular requirements (i.e. font embedding, no encryption etc.). If you want to remove PDF\A option I believe the quickest solution is to reprint the PDF file through the PDF Converter.

Hope this helps?
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite