Document Converter took over COM1

These different converters modules enables you to convert your existin documents to the above formats. These are all parts of our Document Converter produt.
Here you can post all the installation and usage issues related to the document converters including our latest DOCX Converter
genegold

Document Converter took over COM1

Post by genegold »

I have a data transmitting device attached to my single serial port and it was using COM1. All of a sudden it didn't transmit. Belarc showed COM1 had been grabbed by Amunyi Document Converter 2.51 as a printer port. After some searching and experimenting, I found it was part of QuickBooks Simple Start. Is this normal, ADC taking over a port like that without warning, thus requiring the user to manually change the physical serial connection to another port? Thanks.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

The Document Converter installs on the LPT1 port. There was a version that installed on the COM port and then we adjust this in version 2.51-d to make the printer installs again on the LPT1 port.
genegold

Post by genegold »

Joan wrote:Hello,

The Document Converter installs on the LPT1 port. There was a version that installed on the COM port and then we adjust this in version 2.51-d to make the printer installs again on the LPT1 port.
Has QuickBooks gotten the word? I received the app from them in the past month or two. Also, if LPT1 is now being used, what happens to the printer using that port?
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

In reference to the postings by Joan, I would also like to add my comments.

During installation the PDF Converter will install itself to the first available port (typically LPT1).

However there are instances where the developer will install the PDF Converter to specific port. I am not aware if this is the case for the Intuit printer.

Also, regardless of the port the PDF Converter is installed on, it will restrict other applications from using this port.

Hope this helps?
genegold

Post by genegold »

Jose wrote:Hello,

In reference to the postings by Joan, I would also like to add my comments.

During installation the PDF Converter will install itself to the first available port (typically LPT1).

However there are instances where the developer will install the PDF Converter to specific port. I am not aware if this is the case for the Intuit printer.

Also, regardless of the port the PDF Converter is installed on, it will restrict other applications from using this port.

Hope this helps?
Don't most home users have their printers on LPT1? I can't recall the last time I didn't, at least going back to the early 1980s I think.