0 KB File During Merge/Append

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
JASOND

0 KB File During Merge/Append

Post by JASOND »

I have an enterprise, packaged, application that is using AmyUni 4.5.2.3 to convert documents to PDF. The high level process steps are as follows:

1. Convert the document (Word, Excel, PPT, etc) to PDF
2. The application (via Crystal reports) runs a report and exports it to PDF
3. AmyUni merges the PDF document and PDF Crystal report into a single document (PDF Crystal report is the cover page)

At the append step a small javascript is placed into the document

This process is working perfectly for about 85% of the documents. For the 15% that fail, they fail at the merge step. The merge begins and a 0kb file is generated and the CPU is pegged at 100% (1 full CPU is consumed). The process will remain like this indefinitelty.

If I end task on the process and disable the javascript in the merge step, the merge completes. But the problem cannot be the script itself, as it completes in 85% or more of the documents.

Due to the proprietary nature of the documents I cannot post them/send them. But I can answer any questions about them.

I know that the PDF report is in 1.3 version of Acrobat and the AmyUni converted Office document is in 1.4 version.

I can also tell you that this is running on Windows 2008 Server.

And here is the javascript that is attempting to be added during the merge step...

Code: Select all

<JavaScript EmbedScript="true">
		<ScriptText><![CDATA[ 
				var printedDate = new(Date);
				var validityIntervalInHrs = 24;
				var validUntilDate = new Date() ; with (validUntilDate) setHours(getHours()+validityIntervalInHrs)
				var f = this.getField("Text{0}");
				f.value = "Printed on "+ printedDate 
				]]></ScriptText>
		                <textField Name="Text{0}" FontName="Helvetica" FontSize="8">
			<!--supported fonts are Courier,Helvetica or TimesRoman-->
			<textLayout x="120" y="12" height="12" width="600" />
		</textField>
	</JavaScript>
I've tried numerous things with those Word docs that fail...

Changed margins - same problem
Changed font in entire document - same problem
Converted to Office 2010 - same problem
Compressed images - same problem
Adjusted javascript location (currently in page footer) - same problem

Anyone ever seen this? Any way I can trap more information or an error? (ProcMon was no help)

Thanks in advance,

Jason
JASOND

Re: 0 KB File During Merge/Append

Post by JASOND »

Crickets.
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello Jason,

Before looking at your technical issue, I suggest that you contact our technical support department to discuss your licensing.

The standard developer\application license allows the developer to install a version of the Amyuni PDF Converter that is only accessible from the application which installs it. The user of your application will not print directly to the PDF Converter but rather it is the application which starts the printing process.

Example:
If you create an accounting package and you want your users to be able to save their reports\invoices in PDF format. In this type of application the user may have a “save as PDF” for their invoices. In this situation the standard developer\application is applicable.

In the case where you are allowing conversion to PDF format from multiple types of documents or applications, you will need either a royalty based, a corporate or OEM license.

Our website clearly indicates that these types of applications require special licensing models.

http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/devlicense/
Special Licensing:
•Document management applications where the end-user needs to convert any type of document into PDF for emailing or archiving.
•Remote printing applications where the end-user needs to convert any type of document into PDF for printing.
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
JASOND

Post by JASOND »

Let me clear something up, the enterprise application in question is not "mine" it is purchased via a 3rd party. So, the product is licensed but I am not the license holder. Which is why I did not submit an official support request and instead turned to "user" forums.

As I understand it, the vendor is attempting (or will be attempting) to submit an official support request.

But in the meantime I came here to see if this was a known issue with an easy way to identify the root cause and/or fix the problem. User forums are typically untapped knowledge bases......

Additionally....all of what you stated holds true....end user do not have access to the AmyUni components. I can only see the output files and have no access to the inner workings of the AmyUni components or the application in which it is embedded.
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

Without knowing how your application is interacting with the PDF Converter, it makes it quite difficult to trouble shoot this issue.

In reading your post again, I would look at how and what tool is used to insert the JavaScript into the PDF file. Since you mentioned that if you remove this step, the appending of the PDF documents is successful.

Also if the insertion of the JavaScript is causing an issue, you may need to look at the tool that is being used to insert the JavaScript into the PDF document. This is something that is not exposed by our API

Thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite