Document Converter 4.5 not working well

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
johnnybgood

Document Converter 4.5 not working well

Post by johnnybgood »

We have upgraded to document converter 4.5 (from 3 i think) and now when we install it, our users get the following error:
"Printer not activated, error code -41"
The only way i've found to get around it is to try the document converter, get the error, then reboot the computer. After that it works fine, however we can't ask our customers to go through that hassle. Just rebooting the computer isn't good enough, it mustto fail once first. Our code hasn't changed (except for the new license key), so it must be some difference in the document converter.
I've seen similar issues on the forum, however i haven't seen any resolutions for it that work for us, mostly i see things saying it was fixed in later versions (like 4.0.10), but this is happening for us with version 4.5 so there are no later versions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jose
Amyuni Team

Re: Document Converter 4.5 not working well

Post by Jose »

Hello,

The “error code -41” is typically generated when an application is using an older activation code to activate a newer version of the printer driver.

If this error code occurs often, then you need to take a closer look at how your application is activating the printer driver. I would suggest that you look at your application and search all the instances of EnablePrinter(). Please make sure that in all of these instances a v4.5 code is being used.

Thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
johnnybgood

Post by johnnybgood »

Hi Jose, thank you for your response and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I made sure that all instances of calling EnablePrinter() are using the current and correct license code. I then had our QA department retest to make sure and they took a long time to get around to it. However the problem is still there.
To recap:
1) We install our app and the document converter
2) Then when we first run the document converter we get error -41
3) then we reboot, and the document converter now works
4) if on the first attempt the user that is running our app does not have administrative privileges, then the problem does not resolve itself, and we keep getting error 41 until an administrator runs it and then we reboot.

So it seems that there must be something that the document converter is doing when it`s run that requires administrative privileges, and a reboot before it will work.
Again this worked fine with previous versions of the document converter it was only when we upgraded to 4.5 that the issue started and we haven`t changed our code that calls it.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hi,

There are a couple of registry keys which get created when the install.exe is initially executed and these registry keys contain licensing information. These keys can not be accessed by standard users and therefore cause the situation you have described.

In order to resolve this issue you can

A- Include the install.ini file with the correct "License to" and "Activation code" values in the same directory as the install.exe? The install.exe will read these values from the ini file.

B- You can install the printer and assign the "License to" and "Activation code" values to it by passing these values as parameters to the install.exe.

E.g.: Install -s "My Company Printer" -n "Evaluation Developer License"
-c "07ABCDA0ABCDABCDABCD012301230123.....".

Thanks

Also, you can add the -s switch for silent mode, after the license and activation code. This will cause the installation process dialog box not to be displayed.
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
johnnybgood

Post by johnnybgood »

Hi Jose, again, thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately I guess i didn't provide enough detail or I wasn't clear, I'm sorry.
We are already installing the document converter using the:

Install -s "My Company Printer" -n "Evaluation Developer License"
-c "07ABCDA0ABCDABCDABCD012301230123.....".

format.
This used to work, we've been using it for years and it worked just fine, then we upgraded to 4.5 and our problems cropped up, so it must be something that has changed in 4.5. Also please note that even when running as an Administrator, the document converter always gives us error 41 the first time it's run (this didn't happen on any version prior to 4.5).
Thanks again for your time and your help, I look forward to your next response.
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hi,

One thing I suggest you look at is the exact text string that you use when you install the PDF Converter.

We had another user of the product report a very similar issue and it was caused by a trailing space character in one of the parameters passed to the install.exe.

thanks
johnnybgood

Post by johnnybgood »

Thanks again Jose.
Unfortunately after checking the string our install uses very carefully it appears to contain no extra spaces at all
"C:\Program Files\CaseWare IDEA\IDEA\install.exe" /s "Document Converter" /n "CaseWare International Inc." /c "07EFC...60FB506"

I also had our software built without including the install of amyuni then had our qa department test by installing out software and amyuni separately, but the same error still occurs, which leads me to believe that the issue is with amyuni itself and not the way we are installing it.

Is there anything else you can suggest or can you're development team look into what may be causing this issue? We would really like to get this fixed as we can't really release our software with a part that just doesn't work right.

Thanks for your help
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have requested "johnyybgood" to send Amyuni the install script that they are using and we will test it internally. I will post any information on here if it is beneficial to other Forum users.
Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - http://www.amyuni.com
Rich

Post by Rich »

If the syntax is incorrect (ie. extra space, missing character) the command line install will fail and no printer will be created. The install.log will show that the install was unsuccessful. If the correct License to and Activation code are used without syntax errors it may also fail if the version of the Activation code does not correspond with the version that is being installed. The install.log will show a successful install but there would be no printer installed.

Using Activation code for version 3.0 and trying to install version 4.0 or 4.5 will not work and you would have to contact sales@amyuni.com to get the correct Activation code.

More information about the command line install can be found here:

http://amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... lent#p8812
Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - http://www.amyuni.com