Word 2007 hangs on Vista 64

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
forw

Word 2007 hangs on Vista 64

Post by forw »

I looked through the forum on issues concerning Vista 64 bit, but I didn't find a solution. I have the following VBA code which works good on Windows XP 32 bit and Vista 32 bit, but it fails on Vista 64 bit:
Set m_Printer = New CDIntfEx.CDIntfEx
m_Printer.DriverInit dhPrinterName
m_Printer.FileNameOptionsEx = dhNoPrompt Or dhUseFileName Or 16 Or dhMultilingualSupport
m_Printer.PrinterParamStr(dhActivationErrorTitle) = vbNullString
m_Printer.PrinterParamStr(dhActivationErrorText) = vbNullString
m_Printer.DefaultFileName = FileName
m_Printer.EnablePrinter("Evaluation Version Developer Pro", "07EFCDAB010...A30176CF265BA20")
ActivePrinter = dhPrinterName
m_Printer.CaptureEvents True
ActiveDocument.PrintOut False

Actually Word 2007 hangs on executing the line: ActiveDocument.PrintOut False. When I end the Word process from the Task Manager I get a message box saying "Printer not activated, error code -30", but this message is shown only after closing Word 2007.
I try check if the printer is enabled: the EnablePrinter function returns 0, so if I understood the documentation correctly it is enabled. How can I figure out the problem? Is there any solution for this case?
Currenlty I use PDF Converter Developer PRO 4.0 (downloaded on the 30th of April, 2009). Thanks in advance for any help.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Re: Word 2007 hangs on Vista 64

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Please call EnablePrinter() right before your PrintOut() command.
Custom Brand the Amyuni PDF Printer Driver http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/branding/index.html

Amyuni PDF Converter tested for true PDF performance. View results - http://www.amyuni.com/benchmark
forw

Post by forw »

Hello,

I changed the code to the following:
ActivePrinter = dhPrinterName
m_Printer.CaptureEvents True
m_Printer.EnablePrinter("Evaluation Version Developer Pro", "07EFCDAB010...A30176CF265BA20")
ActiveDocument.PrintOut False

Unfortunately, nothing has changed. Word 2007 hangs on executing ActiveDocument.PrintOut False. Any other ideas?
MGR

Post by MGR »

In your particular PDF printer settings (in the printer's properties dialog) try changing from "print directly to printer", to "spool print documents..." and then turn off "enable advanced printing features". Let me know if it works.
forw

Post by forw »

It doesn't help either.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Please check that under 64 bits the PDF Converter Printer is installed on the NULL: port
Custom Brand the Amyuni PDF Printer Driver http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/branding/index.html

Amyuni PDF Converter tested for true PDF performance. View results - http://www.amyuni.com/benchmark
forw

Post by forw »

Yes, it uses the NUL: port (set by default after the installation).
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

I believe that your issue is being caused by “m_Printer.CaptureEvents True” in your code.

The issue is very specific to 32-bit applications running under 64-bit OS because the printing happens within a process named SPLWOW64 and this process locks the calling application whenever GDI instructions are issued. Thus causing the hanging you are encountering.

The calling application cannot process messages within the same thread when doing GDI calls such as StartDoc. You do not see the issue with other printers because these printers do not send messages to the printing application.

The issue does not happen if broadcasting messages or capturing events is disabled or if you print to the PDF Converter from a different thread than the one that enabled the message broadcasting.

Hope this helps?

Thanks
Jose
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
forw

Post by forw »

Thank you very much for the clarification. I removed the CaptureEvents and the Word doesn't hang anymore. But now I get a message box with the following error "Printer not activated, error code -30". I call the m_Printer.EnablePrinter right before ActiveDocument.PrintOut and EnablePrinter returns 0, that is the printer should be activated. What is wrong? Thanks in advance.
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

Please send an email to support@amyuni.com. They have an updated version of 4.0 that will resolve this issue.

thanks
Jose
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
forw

Post by forw »

I sent an email more than a week ago, but no answer. Couldn't you provide a direct link to this updated version (if such link exists)?
MGR

Post by MGR »

hi forw, I'm another client, and I was sent via email a version of this that was 4.0.0.3 but it had versions.txt with 4.0.0.4 listed in the notes. This version solved the -30 problem for me. I don't think it's available as a download link.

But I didn't think it did fix the problem, until I got instructions that I also had to clean off all old versions of the 4.0 product using some special manual uninstall instructions (basically I needed to delete some files in my system32/syswow64 folders), reboot, then reinstall the newest 4.0.0.3. Everything worked fine after that.
forw

Post by forw »

Hi MGR,
It would be great to get this instruction. If there is something to do except removing dlls from the system32/syswow64 folders, could you send it to me or post it here?
Thanks in advance.
MGR

Post by MGR »

this is the instruction I received - I actually did this in windows\syswow64 along with what they suggested (most of the files were in syswow64)

To completely remove the PDF Converter, please follow the steps below:

1 - Run the command below from the directory where you have the driver currently installed

>install -u "Your Printer Name"
or
Remove Amyuni printer using the Windows Add/Remove programs utility

2 - Reboot your system *******Very important step

3 - Search and remove all instances of the files below in the indicated directories

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
acpdfui*.dll
acpdfu*.dll (possibly not installed)
acpdf*.dll
acfpdf.txt
cdintf*.dll (possibly not installed)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
acpdfui*.dll
acpdf*.dll
acfpdf.txt

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
acpdfui*.dll
acpdf*.dll
acfpdf.txt

C:\WINDOWS\system32
Cdintf*.dll

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64
Cdintf*.dll

Delete following folders and contents
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\amyuni_amyunidocumentconverter*

NOTE: * denotes version number ex: cdintf251.dll

4 - Verify that the "Amyuni PDF Converter" (or your own) driver is no longer in the printers folder

After you have finished the above steps, reinstall the PDF Converter using the package [that I sent to you]
forw

Post by forw »

Many thanks, MGR for the instructions, I've tried it but I cannot say if it helped me.

Now I have another issue, I get a dialog with message "Your 30-Day evaluation period has expired.". I believe it really has expired, but due to the problems I wasn't able to try the PDF converter in work. Is there a way to reset expired evaluation period as I must be sure that the Converter works properly.
Thanks in advance.