PDF to TIFF for faxing

These different converters modules enables you to convert your existin documents to the above formats. These are all parts of our Document Converter produt.
Here you can post all the installation and usage issues related to the document converters including our latest DOCX Converter
aroncox

PDF to TIFF for faxing

Post by aroncox »

I'm evaluating this program, and it seems to do most of the things I require, except I haven't worked out how to convert a PDF file to a TIFF for faxing with the Windows XP Fax service. I am using the ActiveX control, and I've tried the default, high, medium, and low options and I get TIFF files, but the fax service doesn't seem to recongnize them, and I can't open them in any viewers.

Here's my code (it's Powerbuilder I'm afraid, but as I said I can do all the other stuff I require):

// Open the PF file and then convert it
iole_amyuni_doc1.Open(as_input_pdf_file_name)
iole_amyuni_doc1.ExportToTIFF(as_output_tif_file_name, il_TIFF_LOW)

I am using these options (I have triend the ones from the documentation, and ones I found here, I have to convert them from hex first):

constant long il_TIFF_DEFAULT = 319844880
constant long il_TIFF_LOW = 169581200
constant long il_TIFF_MEDIUM = 426117136
constant long il_TIFF_HIGH = 959583760

This is the only thing that's stopping me from getting a licence. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Joan
Amyuni Team

Re: PDF to TIFF for faxing

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Which version of the Document Converter are you using?
Custom Brand the Amyuni PDF Printer Driver http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/branding/index.html

Amyuni PDF Converter tested for true PDF performance. View results - http://www.amyuni.com/benchmark
aroncox

Post by aroncox »

it was the latest one downloaded a couple of weeks ago, it says 4.0
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

I believe that your issue is being caused because you are applying JPEG image compression to the TIFF documents. Tiff documents with JPEG image are not support by the TIFF viewer included in windows.

You will need to compress the documents using CCITT fax compression.

Const acTiffExportOptionDefault = 13107210 (&HC8000A)
Const acTiffExportOptionCCITTMedium = 19660810 (&H12C000A)
Const acTiffExportOptionCCITTLow = 9830410 (&H96000A)
Const acTiffExportOptionCCITTHigh = 39321610 (&H258000A)

Hope this helps?

Thanks
Jose
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
aroncox

Post by aroncox »

Thanks, that solved it, faxing is now much faster if I convert it to TIFF first. However it didn't solve the oher problem I was hoping to get round which is that of an Adobe Acrobat window opening. I assume this is becuase you are printing using the default .PDF handler in order to do the conversion from PDF to TIFF, which in our case is Adobe Acrobat. Any suggestions as to how to stop the Adobe Acrobat window from oppening, or to force it to close afterwards will be much appreciated :)

Thanks.
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

I the code snippet you provided above there is no printing involved. You are basically taken a PDF document and opening it with the document object of the PDF Converter and exporting or converting it into TIFF.

thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
aroncox

Post by aroncox »

Yes, sorry, my fault I left the original code in. it's all working great now, and I've told my boss we need to buy it! Thanks for your help.