PowerBuilder Datastore print-to-pdf on EAServer 3.6.1

If you need a specific solution and you are not sure which product to use, please post your requirements here and we will advise you on our solution that best suits your needs
eholderman

PowerBuilder Datastore print-to-pdf on EAServer 3.6.1

Post by eholderman »

We currently use Acrobat Distiller to convert PB 7 and 8 datastores to PDF's on EAServer 3.6.1 with Win NT 4 servers. Our requirement is that the product allows us to name our pdf upon print submission, but nothing else special. With our increase in volume, it seems that Distiller is having some problems. Which Amyuni product would we use to act as a virtual printer and allow us to name our files? What licensing version would we buy if our users only went through our servers and did not directly interact with Amyuni? In addition, is there a better recommended way to do this as opposed to printing? I'm looking for cheap, easy, and fast! Code samples or a "how to" would be great.

Thanks,
Ed Holderman
eholderman

Got It

Post by eholderman »

I think I figured it out. I will use the developer version of PDF Converter installed on each of my servers. Then I will program to either the DLL or ActiveX interface of the converter, naming my files and their output directory as needed. Tech Note 6 has most of the info I need. One thing, though, my pdf process runs as a service every 5 seconds. In order to keep from creating and destroying the reference to the converter so many times, is there a way to keep an instance of this open across service thread loops? Passing a reference to this from a shared component sounds a little tricky.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

You are right Ed, this is mainly how you can generate pdf files, and yes you need the Developer version. I am not sure if there is any other way than printing.

In order not to create and destroy the reference to the converter each time, you can install the PDF Printer on the system using Install.exe "Printer Name", and in your application you may replace PDFDriverInit by DriverInit so the printer will stay on the server. This is how you can use the PDF Printer on any server system.

Have a nice day !