Installation Problems With Different Versions

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
tmurphy

Installation Problems With Different Versions

Post by tmurphy »

Version 2.10b of the PDF Converter is raising an error after installation of our product when we try to generate a PDF from our application. We are using InstallShield for our installation.

Here’s the scenario:

Our latest product uses version 2.10b of the Amyuni PDF Converter. We try to install our application on a system that has some other application already installed on it that uses version 2.06 of the Amyuni PDF Converter (in this case but could be any previous version). This other application has all of the Amyuni distributable files including the main CDINTF.DLL installed in the System32 directory. During installation, our application has all of the Amyuni distributable files copied to the main application directory except for the CDINTF210.DLL file which is installed and registered in the System32 directory. When we run our application and try to use the PDF generation it fails with error ‘1797 – The printer driver is unknown’. We’ve tried rebooting the system with the same results.

At this point, if we un-register CDINTF210.DLL from the System32 directory and move it manually to our application directory, re-register it, and then run our application, the PDF generation process works. If we then, un-register the DLL again and move it back to the System32 directory, re-register it, and then run our application, the PDF generation process works.

The above scenario follows the Amyuni documentation on how to install and distribute the files. Based on our results, even if we were to install everything to the application directory, if another application using a version of Amyuni with the same ProgID were to install to the System32 directory, our application and anyone else's could potentially break.

Thanks for any input or ideas on this.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

I am afraid I never encounter the issue you are facing.

I have on my system both versions 2.08c and 2.10c of the PDF Converter and and I didn't find any conflict.

Each of the printers have a different name. And applications using version 2.08c will use CDIntf.dll from the system directory while applications using 2.10c will use CDintfEx (CDintf210.dll is in the system directory).

Also I didn't encouter the need to copy CDIntf210.dll to the application directory, register it there and then move it back to the system directory.

Please download version 2.10c of the PDF Converter from:
http://www.amyuni.com/downloads/PDF_CONV_210.zip

Hope this helps.
tmurphy

Version Issues

Post by tmurphy »

Hi Joan,

Depending on how you installed the different versions of the PDF Converter you may or may not have the problem. I don't get the problem on my development machine either and I frequently change between versions from 1.57 to 2.10b. The problems seem to occur when the application is installed using an installation program. The installation program isn't the problem either because it has been used for quite some time. Also, as I pointed out, if you register it manually in the application directory, use the converter, them register it in the System32 directory it works. Based on that it seems that manually 'installing' the PDF Converter does not cause the problem.

Another thing is that we're using 2.06 and not 2.08 for the previous version so you're test may not reflect what we see. Also, does the earlier version in your test have all of the other distributable files located in the System32 directory along with CDIntf.dll and CDIntf210.dll? In our situation another application does.

Something else that we found and don't quite know how it affects this issue is that there are copies of some of the distributable files in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 directory for each converter version used (i.e. acpdf206.dll, acpdf210.dll, acpdfui206.dll, acpdfui210.dll, etc...). These are created after trying to print using each version. These files cannot be deleted once their corresponding version is used because it appears that they are attached to something that is still in memory even after the application ends. The only way to delete them is to reboot first. Once we delete them we get mixed results. What is the significance of these files?

On another note, in an e-mail reply from Jose, he said that the preferred way of installing the PDF Converter was to have everything in the application directory. This contradicts your documentation and would not work if anyone else were to install the PDF Converter to another location and register it there.

Thanks for your assistance.
dlbcpa

Similar Problem with different versions

Post by dlbcpa »

I have drivers installed for 157 2.07 and 2.08. I am using the PDF converter through Quickbooks software. When I try to use Install.exe, it says that "the printer name is invalid." I think this may be coming up because I have multiple versions.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

You may receive this message when installing the driver using a new name that doesn't exist in your printers' folder.

You can consider this as an informative message if the printer is installed properly on the system.

Thanks.