How to install on a particular COM port?

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
lukenine45

How to install on a particular COM port?

Post by lukenine45 »

Hi, we are using (i.e. distributing) the Amyuni PDF Converter with our program, which sometimes needs to use a com port to connect with an external device.

It seems that version 2.51b of the converter automatically installs to COM1, and it does it in such a way that nothing (including HyperTeminal) can subsequently open the com port. This is a change from the last version. So, a couple questions:

1. Why does the converter now monopolize the COM1 port?
2. How can I get it to install on a different port? (we're calling the install.exe provided from our own install program. The -o "PORT:" option I found while searching the forum doesn't seem to work)
3. Alternatively, how can I get it to stop monopolizing the COM1 port?
4. Is there a list of the command line options for the install.exe program anywhere? I've never been able to find it in the documentation.

Thank you very much...
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

I am not sure about the 2.51-b but i am pretty sure that our current 2.51-d version installs by default on the LPT1: port. And it doesn't monopolize any port.

The command line options of Install.exe are as follows:
- s : Install printer in silent mode
- n : License name
- c : Activation code
lukenine45

Post by lukenine45 »

I will double check the version when I get to work. I may have d already.

So the -o "PORT:" option I saw somewhere on this forum-- does that work?
lukenine45

Post by lukenine45 »

Alright, I checked just now. I'm pretty sure I have d. I checked the properties on my cdinf.dll, it says it's version 2.5.1.4-- is that right? How can I tell what version I've got? Different files say different versions.

And we've confirmed very throughly that it does install to COM1, and that after that no one else can open that com port.

Any suggestions?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

We will check this issue with our developers and will get back to you.

I mistakenly confirmed that 2.51-d installs on LPT1, i had another version on my system sorry :oops: .

But on my system i can easily change the printer port from LPT1: to COM1: and vice versa.

In anycase we are checking this issue with our developers and will get back to you.
lukenine45

Post by lukenine45 »

Yes, we can manually change it to a different port after it's been installed, too. But we don't want to have to tell our end-users to do that after installing! :)

Just to be clear, what I meant by "monopolizing COM 1" is that after installing the printer, no one is able to open or use the COM 1 port-- even if we aren't printing!
lukenine45

Any news??

Post by lukenine45 »

Is there any further information on this issue? We really need to get this taken care of!

Thanks!
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

This issue was resolved by our developers, please download the latest version 3.0 and check it .

Hope this helps, if not please let me know.