Failure (due to timeout?) on first PDF conversion only

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
Phil Davidson

Failure (due to timeout?) on first PDF conversion only

Post by Phil Davidson »

Using PDF converter 2.10 on Windows XP, I think we are occasionally getting an error from StartDoc. Trying the same operation again, a few seconds later in the same program, then succeeds.

1) Has anyone observed this?

2) It is unknown whether this occurs only once (on first PDF document after installing the converter) or also at other times. One of my theories is that the converter is taking a little too long to load, and something in the system is timing out. Is the problem due to a timeout? How can I verify it? Is there a workaround?

-- Phil Davidson, pdavidson@riverdeep.net
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

I can not give you a very accurate reply because I didn't try this but installing a printer under XP will take a little bit more time than installing the same printer under older OS. So this small time difference may be causing the error generated from StartDoc the first time.

A workaround for this is to install the printer on the system using install.exe and keep it there, so it will not be installed each time you load your application. To apply this workaround please replace PDFDriverInit in your application by DriverInit.

Also I advise you to download our latest version 2.10c of the PDF Converter, if you wish to download this update please contact support@amyuni.com

Hope this helps.
Phil Davidson

Post by Phil Davidson »

We're already calling DriverInit, not PDFDriverInit.

Further experiments seem to confirm that the problem occurs only on the first document after installation.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

This is why I asked you to use DriverInit. Installing the printer under XP will take a little bit more time than under other operating systems, whether this istallation is done by calling PDFDriverInit or by running Install.exe.

So, to overcome this issue, please install the PDF Printer once on your system by running Install.exe when or after installing your application. In this way the printer will stay permanently on the system and you will not face this timing problem.

Thanks.
Phil Davidson

Post by Phil Davidson »

We're already invoking Install.exe as part of our product installation process. The delay occurs later, on the user's first attempt to print to PDF.

-- Phil
r_pawlak

Post by r_pawlak »

Phil,

I ran across a problem with similar symptoms to yours and although the cause may be unrelated, here is how I solved it.
We call “SetFileNameOptions” with “BroadcastMessages” flag in order to intercept PDFPrinter related windows messages.
During output, when “DOCUMENTEVENT_ENABLEDPRE” windows message is intercepted, we call 'EnablePrinter' to enable the device.
On several occasions I observed that that the 1st document failed to print (subsequent documents printed correctly).
The problem was resolved calling 'Enable Printer' before starting the print job.

I hope this helps,
Robert
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hi,

I guess this reply will help Phil.

In fact EnablePrinter should be called RIGHT before each printout.

Have a nice day !