Amyuni PDF Converter Pro under ASP.NET

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
kostas

Amyuni PDF Converter Pro under ASP.NET

Post by kostas »

Hello,

I am using the evaluation version of Amyuni PDF Converter Pro Ver. 2.08a and I would like to ask what are the prerequisites in order to execute successfully under ASP.NET. I tried to use the BatchConvert method to convert MS Word documents into PDFs but with no avail. No matter how I configure the Microsoft Word application through DCOMCNFG, the WinWord process is always being launched under the user ASPNET and freezes. I had no problems using the BatchConvert method under a standalone windows .NET application but I can't make it work when is running under a ASP.NET web server appl.

I am using Win XP Pro (SP1), .NET Framework 1.0.3705, ASP.NET with C#

Regards,

Kostas Tsakiridis
jamador

Post by jamador »

I have a similar problem with BatchConvert and ASP (not .NET framework). The BatchConvert runs OK in a VB project but not when it is call from an ASP file (it does nothing at all).

Maybe it's a security problem because it only occurs in the production server, but not in the Development server.
kostas

Post by kostas »

The reason it doesn't do anything is because the WinWord process is being launched using the ASPNET account. Since Microsoft Word is a highly user interactive application it depends heavily on the current user's profile which is stored in the registry. ASPNET worker account doesn't have a profile stored inside the registry so Word is unlikely to execute properly. I followed the instructions mentioned in the following articles but still I couldn't make it work :cry:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;257757
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;Q288367

You said that under your Development server it runs OK. Under which account does the WinWord process run when you execute the BatchConvert method? Have you changed any DCOM setting for your Microsoft Word using DCOMCNFG?
jamador wrote:I have a similar problem with BatchConvert and ASP (not .NET framework). The BatchConvert runs OK in a VB project but not when it is call from an ASP file (it does nothing at all).

Maybe it's a security problem because it only occurs in the production server, but not in the Development server.
jamador

Post by jamador »

Solved.

You were right. It was due to permission rights of the IIS worker. As there were no differences between the DCOMCNFG of the development and the production server I looked on the COM+ configuration. I changed the Identity setting for the package containing the CDIntfEx component (I added this component to my application package) and all is fine now. I'm using a "This User" setting with an administrator account.

Thanks
kostas

Post by kostas »

Lucky you.. I still haven't found a solution for my problem :cry:

Can you tell me what are your DCOM settings for your MS Word? (Launch permissions, access permissions, identity)
jamador wrote:Solved.

You were right. It was due to permission rights of the IIS worker. As there were no differences between the DCOMCNFG of the development and the production server I looked on the COM+ configuration. I changed the Identity setting for the package containing the CDIntfEx component (I added this component to my application package) and all is fine now. I'm using a "This User" setting with an administrator account.

Thanks
jamador

Post by jamador »

kostas wrote:Lucky you.. I still haven't found a solution for my problem :cry:

Can you tell me what are your DCOM settings for your MS Word? (Launch permissions, access permissions, identity)
Sure !

General Tab:

Authentication level: Default

Location Tab:

Run application on this computer CHECKED

Security Tab:

Use default access permissions CHECKED
Use custom access permissions UNCHECKED
Use default launch permissions CHECKED
Use custom access permissions UNCHECKED
Use default configuration permissions UNCHECKED
Use custom configuration permissions CHECHED: Administrators FULL CONTROL; Creator Owner FULL CONTROL; SYSTEM: FULL CONTROL; ...

Identity Tab:

The launching user CHECKED

Hope this helps...