Fonts do not resolve correctly

The PDF Creator enables you to create secure PDF documents and to view, print and process existing PDF documents.
If you have any questions about the installation and usage of the PDF Creator please post them here.
angelok

Fonts do not resolve correctly

Post by angelok »

I converted a word 2003 doc with acrobat 7. No fonts were embedded. All fonts are installed. It opens/prints perfectly in acrobat reader. When I open/print in pdf creator some are wrong.
angelok

Post by angelok »

It looks like Arial Narrow Bold and Wingdings 3 will not resolve if they are not embedded. Arial, Arial Narrow, Wingdings 2 seem to work ok.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Windings and some similar fonts need a license to be used and embedded

Our PDF Creator replaces these fonts by Arial if not embedded while Acrobat Reader has a matching font or even a license for some of them.

Hope this helps.
angelok

Post by angelok »

If I get a license to use the fonts, is there some way to tell PDF Creator to not substitute the font?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

If the fonts are on your system then they should appear properly in the PDF Creator even if you don't embed them.

If these fonts are licensed and they are not on the system where you are viewing the PDF file you need to have them embedded in the file using 'Licensed Fonts Embedding' option.
angelok

Post by angelok »

They're definitely on my system, but they definitely do NOT appear properly in PDF Creator .net unless I embed them. In adobe acrobat, they appear perfectly whether or not they are embedded.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

I tried to convert a word document containing Arial Narrow and Windings 3 to PDF using the PDF Converter without embedding the fonts and opened the resulting file in the PDF Creator, on the same machine, the output was fine.

I suggest that you send this issue to support@amyuni.com so they can try to reproduce it.
RUNTIME

Post by RUNTIME »

angelok,

Try this.. I know its not a solution but I'm curious to see if it has a different behavior.

On your test client machine, I want you to replace fonts found on your client machine with the fonts from another client machine that does not reproduce this issue on... you know what I mean?

Do you get the same behavior? are the OS the same?

cheers,
rami
angelok

Post by angelok »

After much pain and suffering, I was able to WORK AROUND the problem (NOT FIX).

PDF Creator for .NET 2 will not properly resolve fonts (at least the ones I tried, which are: Arial Narrow, Symbol, and Wingdings 3) if created by Adobe Acrobat versions 5 or 7 (unless I embed the fonts).

The workaround? Create the PDFs over using Amyuni's PDF Converter print drivers, then it seems to understand those correctly.

Seems like a real problem... unless you are trying to sell a PDF converter too.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

I am not sure about Arial Narrow but Symbol and windings fonts are unicode fonts and you need to embed them or use multilanguage so they display properly in the Creator.

You don't need to fully embed the font you can embed them partially to get smaller pdf files.

You defninitely don't need to use the PDF Converter. Please send us a pdf file generated from Adobe without font embedding and we will check if we can view it properly using Creator and Creator.Net. You can send the file along with some info to support@amyuni.com

Hope this helps.