Text missing from PDF

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
Bob Velke

Text missing from PDF

Post by Bob Velke »

When my application prints to any printer, the text is fine. But when it prints to the virtual PDF printer then some lines of text are missing. The space for the missing text is there - the text is just not visible. The whole report is in one font and, again, it prints fine to any other printer.

So far, this has happened for one user on Win98 and one on WinME. Other users have reported no such problem even after extensive testing.

What are the factors that could be affecting this? Can I send something to a tech support person to analyze it?

Thanks,

-Bob
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hi,

There is no specific factors that leads to this specially if you are running the same application on all the machines. If not, you may want to check the following on the machines where the pdf output is not perfect:

1 - That you are using a recent version of the PDF Converter.

2 - That you are using only one version of CDIntf and that is the latest one.

3 - That you are using Font Embedding options while converting the files to pdf.

4 - That you are not printing pdf files to the PDF Printer.

If the problems persists please send and e-mails with some details and a sample pdf file to support@amyuni.com they will check it and get back to you.
Donna

Work Around, but not true fix

Post by Donna »

Our firm has also run into that same exact problem with Amyuni, as well as Acrobat Distiller, a certain Epson driver, and in the Lexmark Optra C710 printer driver. Only some drivers have this problem.
It seems that if the graphics dpi is set to higher than 600 on these drivers, the missing text problem occurs (by the way- we use VB to print).
Although it's not a real solution or bug fix, to avoid the problem in Amyuni, we simply don't allow the user to set the dpi higher than 600. However, users that use Acrobat Distiller (particular version their 5, which sets the dpi at 1200 by default) frequently run into this, and have to be advised to reduce the dpi to work around it. Of course, this is also a bug in Amyuni too.
I hope the info is helpful, and hope it will help Amyuni track down and ultimately resolve the problem in the driver.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello Donna, Bob,

With which version of the PDF Converter are you encoutering this issue?

As I understand from Bob this happens only on some machines and as I understand from Donna, this is happening on all machines and it is related to our driver.

I tried to use the PDF Converter from VB with high resolution and didn't find any problem. If possible please send us a small VB or any other document that we can use to reproduce this issue. Please send the sample or document to support@amyuni.com

Thanks.
Donna

doesn't always happen, but reproducable when it does

Post by Donna »

The problem actually didn't occur on every job, and intermittently occurred throughout jobs with a problem. Thus, one job might be missing 10 lines throughout various pages, another only 1, and others not missing anyting at all.
But when a particular document had a problem, it could be reproduced again in the same place. When manifest, it would simply leave a blank space/line where the entire line of text should have been. It wasn't that the text color was changed to white either, as you couldn't use the text select tool to select anything in Reader. However, the next line of text in the paragraph continued as if the missing text really was there. And if you reprinted the same document using a lower dpi (600 or lower), it worked properly EVERY time- so that is definitely related somehow.

Since we now just prevent a user from setting a dpi in Amyuni any higher than 600 in our software interface, there's no way for me to really duplicate it now in our current software using your driver, to be able to send you any examples. I suppose if I had a stand alone edition of Amyuni that I could use and change settings like Distiller, I probably could. I do know that lowering the dpi resolves it in every case (thus our interface change to just avoid it completely), but I have no idea the cause. Just hoped this would be a helpful clue...
Maybe Bob can send you some examples from his app.

Unfortunately, since the problem doesn't occur on all jobs, and users don't typically carefully proof their final PDFs, they don't always notice a problem right way.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I've also seen this same problem several times, intermittently, in the past. Individual font characters appear to be excluded from the font embedding process... all Times New Roman bold capital "M" characters are blank, for example.

Coincidentally, I come here to the Amyuni forum and the first topic relates to the problem I was going to describe... great timing, Bob!

We're using version 2.08 of the PDF Converter.
Donna

always an entire line when I've seen the issue

Post by Donna »

Hmm.. I've never seen a problem where just a certain character was missing throughout, so I don't know if that's the same issue or not.
The missing lines of test would actually be an entire line in the middle of a paragraph just gone, with only blank space.
For instance, a paragraph that reads

This is a test paragraph to show how
the missing text problem would look
when printed from some jobs using a
higher resolution setting

would perhaps print like

This is a test paragraph to show how

when printed from some jobs using a
higher resolution setting

when the problem occurs, but when the same job is reprinted at res lower than 600, it all shows up properly. But if reprinted at a higher res, problem recurs
Brian

Post by Brian »

I get things such as
The quick br wn f x ran ar und the lazy d gs.

All lowercase "o" characters will be missing, even though space has been allotted for them.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Donna, Concerning the issue you are facing, I wasn't able to reproduce it using our latest version 2.10c of the PDF Converter. Maybe I am using a file where this issue is un-reproducable or maybe this is solved in the new release. When updating to the latest version, if you still face this problem please contact our Technical Support support@amyuni.com

Brian, the missing characters issue used to happen in older versions of the driver. This is fixed in version 2.08e and 2.10. Please download the update from our site at: http://www.amyuni.com/en/support/updates.html or contact our support support@amyuni.com

Thanks,
Brian

Post by Brian »

Excellent. We'll be updating soon.. thanks!