Problem exporting PDF to other formats

If you are a VB developer and have questions about using our products from VB, here is the place to post them.
PDFred

Problem exporting PDF to other formats

Post by PDFred »

I am unable to make any of the PDFCreactiveX "ExportTo" functions work in VB6 (...to RTF, Excel, HTML or JPEG). The preceding call to OptimizeDocument appears to succeed and I am then passing in a valid path and option values to the Export function. "Error 445 - Object doesn't support this action" is the only result...

Interestingly, the PDFCreactiveDoc.exe application won't export to these formats either, even when it creates the original pdf. No error occurs, however.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

It seems you have a version of the PDF Creator that doesn't contain the Export features.

The PDF Creator initally doesn't come with any Export option. These are modules that users can add to the PDF Creator.

Hope this helps.
PDFred

Post by PDFred »

OK, I'll just have to guess... are you refering to the "Document Converter Suite" ???

I downloaded the Version 2.1 developer demo of the converter suite, installed the driver and added all of the initialization code to my application. The CDIntfEx.Document object clearly has these same "ExportTo..." functions, but there is still a disconnect -- how is the CDIntEx object related to the PDFCreactiveX control?

I am able to save the document loaded in the control to a temporary file and then re-open it with CDIntfEx and call its export functions successfully. Is this the only way to do this -- or can PDFCreactiveX's own print and export functions be enabled to reduce the disk I/O? There seems to be some document properties that get lost in the to-and-from file approach as well.

Most frustratingly, I can't print the .pdf at all. The CDIntEx object's Print method returns ERROR 438 - "Object doesn't support this property or method"

What, exactly, is missing???
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

No, I wasn't referring to the Document Converter Suite actually, I was referring to the PDF Creator, but now that I know you are using the Document Converter Suite this will make it easy to diagnostic this issue.

First of all let me give you some general information that would clarify things out:

We have 3 different products: The PDF Converter, the Document Converter Suite and the PDF Creator:

The PDF Converter is a printer driver, it enables you to convert your documents to PDF by printing them to the PDF Printer. The Document Converter is a printer driver, it enables you to convert your documents to PDF, RTF, HTML, Excel, Jpeg and Tiff by printing them to the Document Converter printer. Both the PDF Converter and Document Converter can be used programatically throught CDIntfEx.dll.

The PDF Creator itself is a PDF viewer and Editor, it enables you to view and edit existing PDF files and to create new PDFs from scratch. A special license of the PDF Creator enables you to Export the PDF files that you are viewing to other formats (RTF, HTML, Excel, Jpeg and Tiff ). The PDF Creator can be used programmatically through PdfCreactiveX.dll.

When downloading a demo version of the PDF Converter or Document Converter you got a read only version of the PDF Creator with it. This version enables you to view he pdf files (and export them to other formats if it comes with the Document Converter).

If you are generating PDF files using the Document Converter. You can export them to other formats using two methods:
1) While generating the file (by adding the export option to FileNameOptions, please check page 20 of the Developers' manual 'Common Driver Interface 250.pdf' for further information).
2) After generating the PDF file you can open it using the Open function of CDIntfEx and Export it to PDF. You need to call SetLicenseKey before the Export.

If you are opening the pdf file in the PDF Creator Control, you can use the ExportTo and Print functions of the control to export the file to other formats and print it to a physical printer, you need to call SetLicenseKey() before calling any Export or Print function.

Finally, please note that version 2.10 is not recent. If you wish to evaluate our latest version please downlaod a new demo for version 2.50.

Hope this helps.
PDFred

Post by PDFred »

Thank you for the more informative response.

I downloaded everything I am using from the Amyuni site during July, 2005:
- pdfcreactivex.dll is Version 2.0.02
- cdintfex.dll is Version 2.5.04 (its documentation is still titled "2.1")

Your phrase "A special license of the PDF Creator..." suggests that the demo version can NOT export to other formats. Will a correctly licensed PDFCreactiveX control provide the Export functions WITHOUT cdintfex.dll?

Even when calling SetLicenseKey with the "Company" and "LicKey" shown in the PDF Creator's Install.ini file, the PDFCreactiveX control cannot print to a physical printer (ERROR 438). Is printing disabled in the demo version? Will a correctly licensed PDFCreactiveX control print its Document object to a physical printer?

Your 1/13/2004 reply to KamleshvGujarathi in FAQs: "There are no restrictions for the evaluation version unless the watermark that will appear on the pdf file." This is part of my confusion.

Our users will open and view existing PDFs with the PDFCreactiveX control, append or remove pages and fill in information using text fields and selection objects. They also need to insert some pictures. Our software will, where possible, pre-populate some input fields when the documents are opened. Of course, user will also need to print and save their completed pdf to file. Exporting the final document to .rtf or .xls is desirable, but not essential.

What "special license" do we need?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

If you wish to export pdf files to other format, please downlaod a demo version of the Document Converter from our site: http://www.amyuni.com/en/products/docum ... /demo.html

Install the Document Converter and use the version of the PDF Creator that got installed with it to open your pdf files and export them. This should work.

You will be able also to print your pdf files to a physical printer using this version.

You need to change the License Key and Activation code you got with the Document Converter when using the PDF Creator programmatically.

Please note that this version of the PDF Creator is read only, so you may not be able to open pdf file, edit it and then save it.

When licensing the PDF Creator, you can ask to add modules for HTML export by example or any other export format you wish.

If you are still facing problems evaluating our products please feel free to contact support@amyuni.com