PB Web DW as ActiveX from IIS

If you are a Power Builder developer and have any questions about using our products from Power Builder here is the place to post them.
jacekb

PB Web DW as ActiveX from IIS

Post by jacekb »

I try to add PDF generation feature to my existing WEB application running on IIS. I use PB Web DW inherited NVO registered as ActiveX component. When I try to generate PDF using Amyuni dll interface, print method for datastore allways returns -1.
When I do the same task from PB application on the same machine, everything is OK.

Thanks for any help.

Jacek Borowiec
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Which operating system are you using? Are you under NT, 2000, .Net ?
jacekb

Post by jacekb »

Joan, thanks for fast response.
It's W2000 terminal server.
I made additional "research" today an it appeared that my component does not see any printer installed on machine.
printGetPrinter() returns empty string,
printSetPrinter() returns -1.
on printGetPrinters() component simply hangs up.
I think, that it's PowerBuilder isue, because we encountered the same problems while trying to print something from PowerBuilder application running as service.
Regarding Amyuni printer driver, the only difference between my laptop and testing machine installation is that on my machine I see content on "Security" tab of printer properties and on testing machine I see message, that security information for Amyuni printer is not available. Other printers on that machine show this information but anyway, none of them is visible from ActiveX component code.

Jacek
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

If you are running IIS5, please set the site security to Low.

If you have Internet Explorer 4.7 (which i doubt :-) ) please update your version of IE to 5 or 6 because we had reported problems under IE 4.72

Concerning the security tab, It is caused by windows when it cannot resolve an SID. You might have had some User/Group in the access list, that they don't exist anymore. Please MSDN or TechNet for a resolution. A workaround for the securtiy tab issue is to install the printer using the Add Printer wizard.

For more information on installing the printer manually using the Add printer wizard and to get the needed inf file please contact our Technical Support support@amyuni.com

Hope this helps.
jacekb

Post by jacekb »

It works now.
Thanks a lot!

Jacek
jacekb

Post by jacekb »

Works, but still have problems.
Now, I can't get Polish specific characters in produced documents.
I've already switched on MultilingualSupport and EmbedFonts options in SetFileNameOptions function, but I see no effects.
in datawindow I use ArialCE font, but changing it to Arial changed nothing.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Did you try to convert Polnish characters in Arial CE from Word?

If you have the End User version of the PDF Converter you can try this by adding some polnish text in Arial CE to a Word document and print it to the PDF Printer while enabling Multilanguage support and Font Embedding to see if you will get the same result as when you print from a datawindow.

Otherwise you may send us a sample Word document to support@amyuni.com and we will try to reproduce this issue here.

Thanks
jacekb

Post by jacekb »

I can't do that from Word. Word is "Unicode" ready application and does not see Arial CE font. For Word all that fonts are simply Arial. PowerBuilder 9 does not support Unicode yet.
What I can do is store data in PSR file and send PSR with produced PDF as well as TIFF or JPEG image of expected result (I'm not sure how PSR file will display Arial CE in US English localised system).

Thanks for help,
Jacek
jacekb

Post by jacekb »

I have two PDF files: one produced by Amyuni PDF converter and one produced by Ghostscript on my client machine directly from PB environment. Ghostscript version display Polish chars properly (but not perfectly). Could I send this two files to support@amyuni.com?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Is Arial CE a True Type font or a Type 1 font?

In Excel 2000 there is the Arial CE font, in Word it doesn't appear in the list of fonts.

If Arial CE is installed on your system, you can use Font Embedding to embed the font while generating the PDF file. As your text is Polnish you will need to add Font Embedding and Multilanguage support to get a good output. (You need to add 16 + 128 to your call of FileNameOptions) for more infomration please check FileNameOptions in the Developer manual "Common Driver Interface 210.pdf".

When adding these options you will get a good output that you can view on systmes that doesn't have Arial CE installed.

Hope this helps.