Error 126 when installing printer on Windows XP

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
Robert

Error 126 when installing printer on Windows XP

Post by Robert »

Hello,

Several of our users are experiencing the following error when we install PDF Converter 2.08c on Windows XP.

Windows 2000/XP Install
----------------------------------------------------------------
Installing PDF printer driver
Error Code: 126
The specified module could not be found
Installing PDF printer
Error Code: 1797
The printer driver is unknown
Printer setup failed
Error Code: 1797
The printer driver is unknown

We applied the solution described in Newsletter 1 "Error code 126 under XP" but in some cases the path "c:\windows\system32\wbem" does not contain a space. So we reverted to the second option which is to copy the framedyn.dll file in the system32 directory but that didn't solve our problem.

Is there another situation that would cause this error ?

We are looking at the 2.09 version of PDF Converter. Does the install.exe still call functions in framedyn.dll ? Would it solve our problem.

If anybody has any suggestions they would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hi,

Did you try to install the printer manually using the Add Printer wizard?

This may help.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Joan,

We haven't tried that option. But to use the Add Printer wizard we have to use an .INF file. Is there an .INF file that I have to deploy. There is no mention of it in the Distribs.pdf document.

Thanks for the reply,

Robert :?
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello Robert,

Please send an email to support@amyuni.com and we will send you the .inf file.

Thanks
ColinParker

Post by ColinParker »

Hi,

we are having the same problem. Is there a solution yet?

cheers

Kev Moore
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

Current we have to possible solutions.

1- The solution that is described in "Newsletter 1 = Error code 126 under XP""

2- installing the printer using Window's Add Printer method.

If you have tried the solution in our Newsletter 1 without success, please send an email to support@amyuni.com and we will send you the .inf filed needed to install the printer using the method above.

Thanks
ColinParker

Post by ColinParker »

Hi, Sorry for being dumb, but where are the newsletters?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello Colin,

The Technical NewsLetters forum is under 'Other Topics' on the main page of the forum index. It is visible only when you scroll down till the end of the page.
You can click on the following link to access it directly:
http://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Have a nice day !
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Joan,

We've tried the .INF file and we get mixed results. In some cases it works and others it does not.

Has anybody experienced this kind of error and resolved it by using other solutions than those described in this post ?

Robert :?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Please try to copy of the "framedyn.dll" file into the System32 folder, and than ran the install.exe

Hope this helps.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Joan,

We did that already. See the first post of this thread.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello Robert,

Oups... Because this thread is a little bit long I am not reading it from the beginning

Mainly, the two solutions we have are the ones mentioned by Jose in this thread. And these are working in all cases.

As you are in Quebec, please feel free to call our support line in Montreal (514) 868-9227
, our support Engineers will try to help you in cases where the above solutions are not working.

Thanks.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi everybody,

I've been doing some tests concerning this problem and I've found that this error appears on WinXP machines because XP detects that the AmyUni driver is unsigned. In the case of all drivers that are not "WinXP compatible" according to Microsoft, that is they are not digitally signed by them, WinXP will ask the user to confirm if he really wants to install a "unsafe" driver.

I've tried using the .INF file. In the case where I select the file through the explorer, right click and choose Install from the popup menu, the driver doesn't install. I don't even get an error message.

In the case where I go through the "Add Printer" wizard, WinXP tells me that the driver is not digtally signed but gives me the choice to continue with the installation. In this case the driver is installed and the user is all smiles.

The question that I have is since the "Install.exe" automates the driver installation process could it be that it doesn't tell WinXP to install the driver even if it is unsigned and fails with error 126 ?

Regards

Robert
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Joan,

This is a follow up to the installation saga on WinXP.

We tried using the oemsetup.inf and on several machines with no success. When we use the install.exe we have an error code 2 followed by error code 1797.

We've noticed that this happens on WinXP machine were another software installation has created an AmyUni PDF Converter printer also. The defined printer uses AmyUni PDF Converter 2.05. When we remove this printer and run the install.exe for our printer (AmyUni PDF Converter 2.08c) the problem disappears.

Has anybody had this kind of error ? I'm trying to determine what to look for in the hopes of finding a solution but I'm out of ways to look at this problem.

Thanks.

Robert
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello Robert,

I suspect that the issue you are encountering could be related to the fact that with version 2.06 and prevoius, the acfpdf.dll was common to all NT4, 2000 and XP installations.

With the release of version 2.07, the file acfpdf.dll is specifically for NT4 installations and for win2000/winXP, the acfpdfu.dll file is used instead.

Now if you are trying to use the Add Printer method with "oemsetup.inf " file, this ".inf" will try to use the "acfpdfu.dll". However, in version 2.05 that dll didn't exist and this is why your are getting a error code 2 or "The system cannot find the file specified"

Hope this helps.