Invalid EXCEL file

If you are a VFP developer and have any questions about using our products from VFP here is the place to post them.
dfolk

Invalid EXCEL file

Post by dfolk »

Hello:

I'm currently using version 2.10i-6 of the Document Converter Suite with the PDF, XLS, and RTF options. When saving some VFP reports as an XLS file, the file is created but I receive a 'File format is not valid' error from within EXCEL when I try to open it. What's really perplexing is that the problem does not occur all of the time and appears to be data dependent. For example, one report contains a value of $100 in a column. This file can be opened in EXCEL. But if I change the value to $1,000 and re-run the report, the XLS can NOT be opened and I receive the error message above. All other data is exactly the same between the two reports with the exception of this value. I can save the reports in PDF and RTF format with no problems regardless of the data in the report. Any suggestions about what could be causing this problem and what can be done to correct it?

Thanks for your assistance.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Can you reproduce this same issue from Word by example?

Will you get the same if instead of 1,000$ you have 10,000$ or 1000$?

If you are under your free warranty or have a maintenance plan please send your vfp report to support@amyuni.com so we can check it.

Thanks
dfolk

Post by dfolk »

Thanks for the response Joan. If I save the reprts in RTF format, I can view them in Word with no problems at all regardless of the data. For the XLS file, if I change the data from $1,000 to $10,000, I CAN view the resulting XLS file. So to sum it up briefly, if the value in one of the columns of the report is $0, $100, or $10,000, I can view the resulting XLS file. But if I change the value to $1,000, I can NOT view the XLS file.

We are in the process of renewing our maintenance plan as I believe as fate would have it that it just expired within the last week or so. :)
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

This is really weired that you have a problem with $1.000 and not with $10.000 I can't see what is the problem because in fact you should have a problem with any of the above numbers.

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue here. So i suggest that you send us the sample VFP report to support@amyuni.com to check it.

Thanks.