Font Encoding Issue

The PDF Creator enables you to create secure PDF documents and to view, print and process existing PDF documents.
If you have any questions about the installation and usage of the PDF Creator please post them here.
andrewhui

Font Encoding Issue

Post by andrewhui »

Hello,

I am a user of PDF Creator 3.01a and I have an unusual situation when sending the output of a particular PDF file opened by PDF Creator to a printer (happens with any printer I have installed, including the Amyuni printer driver I also have installed). This particular PDF file, when opened in Adobe Acrobat, appears as it should, however when opened by PDF Creator and subsequently printed, any bolded "N" character turns into an "O" and any bolded and italicized "N" turns into a "#".

Checking the Document Properties of the PDF in Acrobat reveals the following information about the embedded fonts:

TimesNewRoman (Embedded Subset)
Type: Type 1
Encoding: Custom

TimesNewRoman,Bold (Embedded Subset)

TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic (Embedded Subset)

I suspect there is something odd with the font encoding because if I copy and paste text from the original PDF that is affected in the printed output into Notepad, the same character substitutions happen in the pasted text. However, since Acrobat is able to render the file correctly on screen (as well as when printed), I'm wondering if there's something we're not doing right with setting up the PDF Creator or if there is a bug somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.

--
Andrew
Joan
Amyuni Team

Re: Font Encoding Issue

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Adobe Reader makes some font substitution, so if there is a problem with a given font it automatically substitute it by another font.

I suggest that you try opening this PDF using the latest version of the Creator 3.02 to check if the fonts are displayed properly.

Can you recreate this PDF file? If you have the orginal document you can try generating the PDF using the PDF Converter.

Hope this helps.
Custom Brand the Amyuni PDF Printer Driver http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/branding/index.html

Amyuni PDF Converter tested for true PDF performance. View results - http://www.amyuni.com/benchmark