Urgent: Blank pages

The PDF Creator enables you to create secure PDF documents and to view, print and process existing PDF documents.
If you have any questions about the installation and usage of the PDF Creator please post them here.
NeBlackCat

Urgent: Blank pages

Post by NeBlackCat »

I've been testing out the PDF Suite eval and have hit a regularly occuring problem.

What I use it for is to programatically write headers/footers onto PDF files (initially created with the Adobe PDF printer driver) and then print them.

However I find that some (though not all) documents print out as blank pages except for the watermarks! If I load them into Acrobat Reader they show vaguely recognizable garbage on these blank pages.

There is nothing wrong at all with the original PDF files.

Is this a known problem?
NeBlackCat

Re: Urgent: Blank pages

Post by NeBlackCat »

NeBlackCat wrote:I've been testing out the PDF Suite eval and have hit a regularly occuring problem.

What I use it for is to programatically write headers/footers onto PDF files (initially created with the Adobe PDF printer driver) and then print them.

However I find that some (though not all) documents print out as blank pages except for the watermarks! If I load them into Acrobat Reader they show vaguely recognizable garbage on these blank pages.

There is nothing wrong at all with the original PDF files.

Is this a known problem?
I meant headers/footers (not watermarks!).[/b]
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

So you are trying to merge two documents one generated from Adobe PDF Writer and one generated by our PDF Converter?

If this is the case please send us both documents and tell us how you are merging them so we can check this issue closely. You can send you files to support@amyuni.com
NeBlackCat

Post by NeBlackCat »

Hi,

Not quite - I'm taking single PDF files (from Acrobat) and using the PDF Creator ActiveX API to wite additional text onto them (headers & footers actually).

I'm using a Python script that I made a while ago to do this (I am sure that it worked OK with previous versions of the PDF Creator demo).

Hope that helps.

If you have Python there I can send you a sample PDF file and the script and you can try it yourself.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

I don't have Python here. Your script was working with pervious versions of the PDF Creator using the same pdf files you are using know?

Please tell me which version of the PDF Creator you are currently using.
NeBlackCat

Post by NeBlackCat »

Yes thats right. The PDF Creator is the current demo release (2.0 IIRC)
NeBlackCat

Post by NeBlackCat »

My mistake its the PDF Suite 250 demo
NeBlackCat

Post by NeBlackCat »

Hi again,

I have spent two while days stripping the test scenario down to the simplest possible test case (and PDF file) that reproduces the problem and have discovered the following:

It is actually very simple - the problem occurs with certain PDF documents (not all) by just using the PDF Creator ActiveX control to open and print the PDF document (ie. no other stuff, such as creating text objects into the opened PDF file)

I know you dont do Python, but you can see how simple what I am doing is from the Python code:

oPdf = PDFCreator.PDFCreactiveX()
oPdf.SetLicenseKey("Suite Evaluation Pro", "07EFCDA..etc..etc)

oPdf.Open('test.pdf,'')
oPdf.Print(<any printer name>, False)

You dont get much simpler than that!!

Some other observations:

1) using the Save method to save the document to another filename (instead of printing it) works - you get a valid PDF file output (ie. it looks fine in Acrobat and prints fine from Acrobat).

2) therefore it may be a problem in the Print method itself.

3) If I print the document to the Adobe PDF printer, the resulting PDF file is a completely black page except for your unlicensed watermark in red.

4) I have produced a single-page PDF file which exhibits the problem.

I have emailed you:

a) the single-page PDF file (which exhibits the problem) refered to in 4)
b) the Adobe PDF printer output as refered to in 3)
c) the above script compiled to an EXE for you to run without needing Python (see the email for further info), in case you need that.

I think this should be solvable from this information - please could you give it your urgent attention as its obviously a big problem.

BTW the version of Acrobat that I have is 6.0 Pro.

I'm sure that this problem is nothing to do with using Python - it is obviously a sensitivity to the contents of certain PDF files as created by Acrobat 6.0, possibly within the PDF Creater ActiveX control's Print method.

Please post here or email me if I can provide any further info.
NeBlackCat

Post by NeBlackCat »

Just one further piece of information in case it helps - the test.pdf file refered to in the above post (and emailed to you) was created by scanning a document and then printing it through the Acrobat 6.0 pro PDF printer driver.