PDF Viewing Issue

The PDF Creator enables you to create secure PDF documents and to view, print and process existing PDF documents.
If you have any questions about the installation and usage of the PDF Creator please post them here.
schmidtdarren

PDF Viewing Issue

Post by schmidtdarren »

Hi there,

Our company recently purchased your PDFCreator product for a replacement of the Adobe PDF.ocx.

We more or less just use the viewing and printing capabilities right now. In the future we are planning on more creation and modification of PDFs.

One issue we are dealing with when viewing PDFs is that the redraw is quite slow on several machines. My development machine (a laptop) draws quite quickly, but others appear to draw "line by line" from top to bottom. The redraw occurs when scrolling as well. Is there a way to not have the application do this? I've tried locking the window using the API function:

Private Declare Function LockWindowUpdate Lib "user32" ( _
ByVal hwndLock As Long) As Long

This usually helps applications out when redrawing and speeds things like loading combo boxes. Anyway, this does not help the issue of draw speed.

Can you provide any other information or help on this subject?

Regards,
Darren A. Schmidt
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

You are viewing your files using the PDF Creator?

If you are using the same version of the PDF Creator than you need to check the system resources of the machines where the files are displaying slowly:
memory, hardisk space, cpu speed...

Hope this helps.
schmidtdarren

Post by schmidtdarren »

Yes, the PDF Creator is being used for viewing. We NEED to replace Adobe dependancies, so this is why we are using it.

The machines are all capable, and we've tested on a variety. The majority are tablet PC's with a 1.4Gig mobile processor. The machines are spec'd with 512mb of memory. Disk space is not an issue. All in all machine performance is fine for this type of application. These are Panasonic tablets that run about $5K.

My dev machine is a 2.4 with 1 gig of memory.

The redraw speed on them is just not acceptable. Its just like watching an old Mini computer scrape a screen together, line-by-line. One of our forms displays in about 35 seconds. Most of our PDF forms have several boxes of text along with graphic headers. When you scroll, the line-by-line redraw continues.

The PDF.ocx would take some time to initialize (had to get Acrobat going), but once running would load documents quickly and not repaint slowly like this.

Are there any settings in the control that would help out?

Regards,
Darren Schmidt
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

There is no 1 setting that can be used for similar cases, it depends on the pdf file.

I would suggest that you try to save the file in View only mode and not view and design and then view the file again.

If you are still getting slow display please send us the file to support@amyuni.com we will open a support case and follow it up.

Hope this helps.