Repeatedly creating/destroying the virtual printer

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
sunkist

Repeatedly creating/destroying the virtual printer

Post by sunkist »

My VB6 application provides the option to either print a report or generate a PDF file in a Windows NT environment.

I am using the developer version of the PDF Converter Version 2 (demo version).

I do not want the virtual printer to appear in the list of printers the entire time that my application is running.

The documentation states that the virtual printer should be created and destroyed only once in the life of the application to avoid problems.

In order to keep the virtual printer from being constantly displayed in the list of printers during the life of my application, I create the printer (.PDFDriverInit) every time the user selects to generate a PDF file and then destroy the printer (.RestoreDefaultPrinter and .DriverEnd) after the PDF file has been generated. Doing this, the virtual printer appears in the printer list very quickly and then disappears again.

Is there anyway to keep the virtual printer out of the printer list? What kind of problems could I get from repeatedly creating/destroying the virtual printer? So far, I have not experienced any problems during my development.

Thanks.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

It is advisable to install the Printer using Install.exe once when launching your application and remove the printer once before closing your application.

Repeatedly installing the printer on the system is memory consuming.

And no, there is no way to keep the printer outside the printers list when this printer is installed on the system. At least, there is no way I know to do so.

Have a nice day
Ramberg

Re: Repeatedly creating/destroying the virtual printer

Post by Ramberg »

sunkist wrote:Is there anyway to keep the virtual printer out of the printer list?
Would like to see that too...

I only know how to hide it from the network (add a $ in front of the share...)
But you could try to give it a name that would not catch that much interest as "Amyuni PDF Converter" could, try something like:
"Remove Printer" ("Add printer" already exist) :lol:
"$ Virtual Printer"
"_" (you will se printer icon but no text) or just " ' "
"PDF Exporter"
"Temporal Printer"
etc

Cheers/Kenneth 8)