Error Code 126 on Windows XP Embedded

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
ZakZak

Error Code 126 on Windows XP Embedded

Post by ZakZak »

We're trying to install PDF Converter (latest demo download as of today) under Windows XP Embedded and we're receiving the "Error Code 126 - The specified module could not be found". We do not get this error on Windows XP Pro.

In case you're not familiar with XP Embedded, it is a highly componentized version of Windows XP that gives you very fine-grained control over what pieces of the system are actually installed. You can use it to build a very small footprint version of the Windows XP operating system for embedded devies.

I'm sure our problem stems from some DLL or something that would normally be there on XP Pro, but we are missing in our XP Embedded image. Is there some way to find out specifically WHICH "module" is being "specified" and "not found"?

I've already tried the error code 126 solution from Newsletter 1 but that does not appear to be our problem (neither copying framedyn.dll to the system32 directory or to the installation directory made any difference for us).

Thanks!
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Did you try to install the printer manually using the Add Printer wizard?

Thanks.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi ZakZak,

Check the following posting. This solved our problem with Error Code 126.

http://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=20
ZakZak

Post by ZakZak »

Joan wrote:Did you try to install the printer manually using the Add Printer wizard?
I installed using PdfDrvDemoEn.exe but I see no .inf file to use with the Add Printer wizard? Did I miss something?

-Zak
ZakZak

Post by ZakZak »

Robert wrote:Check the following posting. This solved our problem with Error Code 126.
Thanks, but I checked and the registry key referenced in that posting is already of type REG_EXPAND_SZ.

-Zak
Robert

Post by Robert »

Check the post by cluzhoxsie concerning the Path environment variable.
ZakZak

Post by ZakZak »

Robert wrote:Check the post by cluzhoxsie concerning the Path environment variable.
My path is fine. I moved the wbem directory to the very front of the path and made sure there weren't any spaces.

Windows XP Embedded is a very different beast. I essentially have complete control over what files get loaded into the Windows and System32 directories when I build my OS image. I've included everything I know of that has to do with printing and it doesn't work, so at this point I have to assume there is some other DLL that is missing (framedyn.dll is definitely NOT missing).

-Zak
Robert

Post by Robert »

Did you check the type of the path variable. It should be Reg_Epand_SZ. If is not, any reference to %systemroot% or other tags will not be replaced and install.exe will give you a error code 126.
ZakZak

Post by ZakZak »

Robert wrote:Did you check the type of the path variable. It should be Reg_Epand_SZ. If is not, any reference to %systemroot% or other tags will not be replaced and install.exe will give you a error code 126.
Read a couple of my posts back. I said that it is REG_EXPAND_SZ.

-Zak
ZakZak

Post by ZakZak »

ZakZak wrote:I installed using PdfDrvDemoEn.exe but I see no .inf file to use with the Add Printer wizard? Did I miss something?
Amyuni Tech Support sent me the INF file and that allows me to add a printer manually. However, when I try to print to it from Notepad, I get an error message stating "The device is not ready". I think whatever was missing for the install is still missing and causing the driver to not function.

-Zak
ZakZak

Post by ZakZak »

ZakZak wrote:However, when I try to print to it from Notepad, I get an error message stating "The device is not ready".
Ugh... Replying to myself again. The problem here is that I installed the developer version of the Amyuni stuff. If I install the regular user version and create the printer using the INF file, I can print to it just fine.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help. I'm beginning to wonder why the INF file isn't included with the Amyuni stuff when you download it, though!

-Zak
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hi,

We are not including the inf file in the product package because this file is not used in general to install the printer. In most cases running Install.exe will do the job. It is only in cases where you need to install the printer manually that you will need the inf file.

Best Regards.