Printing a PDF from a particular paper source

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
avanderwoude

Printing a PDF from a particular paper source

Post by avanderwoude »

I can call PrintPDFDocument() or PrintPDFDocumentEx() and specify the number of copies. Is there a way to indicate which paper source the printer should use to print the document? For example, if there are two paper trays, one at 8.5x11 and the other at 8.5x14, can I indicate which tray to use?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

This can be done using the PDF Creator http://www.amyuni.com/en/products/pdf_creator/demo.html . This is PDF Viewer / Editor that enables your to edit pdf files and specify the paper bin for each page in the PDF document.

If you are using only the PDF Converter to generate and print pdf files, you need to try specifying the paper bin for the document before converting it to pdf, this data will be stored in the pdf file and the document will be printed to the specific paper tray.

Hope this helps.
avanderwoude

Post by avanderwoude »

We are using only the PDF Converter. The problem with doing what you suggest is that the PDF may need to be printed on various printers from various paper sources. For example, Customer A may print the PDF from paper tray 1 (which contains the 11x14), but Customer B needs to print from paper tray 2 (their tray 1 contains 8.5x11). If the paper tray is "hard-coded" into the PDF then only the original creator of the document can reliably print it. As I see it, here are the options:
  • * Duplicate the PDF, once for each possible paper tray. Disk space usage make this option unacceptable.
    * Edit the PDF document before each print to make sure the paper tray is set correctly. This probably means that we'll have to buy a product such as PDF Creator, which seems overkill for this one small task. Plus, it would have to be distributed with our product to all our customers.
    * Set the printer itself so that it prints from a particular paper tray. I don't know if this would even work, since it seems that these sorts of settings are being "hard-coded" into the PDF, which would override whatever I set.
Are there any other options?