Embedded Fonts

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
jagertee

Embedded Fonts

Post by jagertee »

Greetings
We've tried the published options for embedding fonts into the PDF file (via a Powerbuilder datawindow print) and dont seem to be able to get this to work. We've tried a special font (Russel Square) and also normal TT fonts - I would expect to see a difference in file size of the resulting PDF file between having this option on and off but dont see this.

FYI we have a requirement placed upon us by a Gov document repository to have the fonts embedded for future stds.

Anyone used this/these features?

Cheers
Rob
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

FontEmbedding is working properly. Please tell us how you are embedding fonts and which version of the PDF Converter you are using.

Thanks.
jagertee

Post by jagertee »

Hi Joan

We're using version 2.09

(Powerbuilder) Tried both methods (& together) below; adding to SetFileNameOptions options and also an extra setFontEmbedding command.

SetFileNameOptions(PDFPrinter, NoPrompt + UseFileName + Fullembedfonts)
setFontEmbedding(PDFPrinter, 1)

Thanks for your reply
Regs
Rob
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hi,

You need to add FontEmbeding to FileNameOptions along with FullFontEmbedding.

Please call:

SetFileNameOptions(PDFPrinter, NoPrompt + UseFileName + FontEmbedding + Fullembedfonts)

FontEmbedding should be declared as an integer = 16.

Hope this helps.
jagertee

Post by jagertee »

Greetings!

Thanks for your help and sorry to be a pain - but its not working. I've tested by printing a rich text edit control containing a form - before printing (to Amyuni) I changed the heading to Wingdings3. Opening the PDF file (Acrobat) its there OK. This was using the options you recommend.

I then removed that font from my system and reopened the PDF (acrobat) which returned an error and just showed dots where the heading was - so obviously that font was not embedded.

Happy to email PB object if you wish.

Cheers
Rob

--------- code ---------
Constant string OutputFileName = "c:\pb6order_with.pdf"
long PDFPrinter

PDFPrinter = PDFDriverInit('PDF Converter')
SetResolution(PDFPrinter, 600)
SetJPEGCompression(PDFPrinter, 1)
SetCompression(PDFPrinter, 1)
SetDefaultConfig(PDFPrinter)
SetDefaultPrinter(PDFPrinter)

SetDefaultFileName(PDFPrinter, OutputFileName)
SetFileNameOptions(PDFPrinter, NoPrompt + UseFileName + EmbedFonts + Fullembedfonts)
setFontEmbedding(PDFPrinter, 1)
rte_main.Print(1, '', TRUE, FALSE)
SetFileNameOptions (PDFPrinter, 0)
DriverEnd (PDFPrinter)
Dany
Amyuni Team

right way to set font embedding

Post by Dany »

Wingdings3 might be one of those fonts that have the Licensed flag set to make them embedded in read-only mode. I don't have it here to check. You will need to add EmbedLicensedFonts to the SetFileNameOptions call to embed any Licensed font.

Also Arial and Times New Roman are not embedded unless you use EmbedStandardFonts options.

Instead of using FullEmbedding, I strongly suggest using MultiLanguageSupport as this produces the most compatible PDF files. So that would be:
MultiLanguageSupport + EmbedFonts + EmbedLicensedFonts.

To check if a font is embedded in PDF without doing any guessing, you can check the Document Properties of the PDF using Acrobat Reader. It will give you a list of fonts, whether and how they are embedded.

Dany
jagertee

Post by jagertee »

Many thanks Dany.

Yes - seems to be working in a fashion. I tried the multilanguagesupport but may have to exclude that - made it HUGE (which normally OK but these PDFs will be stored in BLOB in Oracle database). Acrobat reported (thanks for that tip) that the fonts (all) were embedded only when I used this feature though. Without multilanguage it didnt embed them - or so I thought; I tried monotype corsiva in the document and embedded that fine - so its not embedding the arial and times new roman even though I definitely have std fonts set. Any thoughts on that apprec, but at least any font other than those will now get included.

Best regards
Rob