PDF Converter 2.51 on Win2012R2

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
rvacrn

PDF Converter 2.51 on Win2012R2

Post by rvacrn »

We are (still) using version 2.51 and it worked just fine up to Win2008R2 64-bit. However, when testing on Win2012 64-bit, the output pdf shows squares instead of characters. So it seems to be a font issue and investigated in this direction. Tried various combinations of the switches for...

SetFileNameOptions(hAmyuniPrinterHandle, USEFILENAME | NOPROMPT | MULTILINGUALSUPPORT);// | EMBEDFONTS | FULLEMBED | EMBEDSTANDARDFONTS | EMBEDLICENSEDFONTS);

but no luck (at some point the squares were replaced by random characters). As mentioned above on Win2008 it works just fine with only USEFILENAME | NOPROMPT | MULTILINGUALSUPPORT.

Also tried...

SetFontEmbedding(hAmyuniPrinterHandle, TRUE);

but no change.

I think it's worth mentioning that the resulting pdf is version 1.3 on Win2008 but 1.6 on Win2012.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!
Radu
Jose
Amyuni Team

Re: PDF Converter 2.51 on Win2012R2

Post by Jose »

Hi Radu,

Version v2.5.1x is a legacy version of our product which no longer support or distribute. While we have a number of users who still use this version of the Amyuni PDF Converter printer driver on windows 2008 and windows 2012 servers, we strongly suggest upgrading to our current v5.0 version of the product.

Please contact our sales team (sales@amyuni.com) and I am sure we can find a viable and competitive upgrade path for you.

Thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
rvacrn

Post by rvacrn »

Hi Jose,

thanks for the quick reply.
I know that version 2.51 is outdated, however, upgrading is not an option at this time. We need to make this work in the current version and will evaluate upgrading in the next release of our software.

Given these, any hints on where I should look would be much appreciated. Please let me know if I should provide more details.

Thanks again,
Radu
rvacrn

Post by rvacrn »

For what is worth... Latest version of Amyuni (5.0.1.9) seems to work just fine. The pdf created is version 1.3.
We still need to figure out if we can make 2.51 work on Win2012 and postpone the upgrade.

Thanks,
Radu
DannyDC

Post by DannyDC »

Hi Radu,

We are using version 2.50e-3 and we have problems on 2008R2 terminal servers. When you've migrated to 2008R2, are there other steps to do?

It's like the print spooler hangs. The print-job is stopped with status 'error printing'; the pdf is created but locked by the 'print driver host for 32bit applications'; the application is waiting. After canceling the print job, the application give a error(pdf not accessible). Then after a while, the pdf is free but corrupt.

We think a permission problem, but we can't find where. Or a missing file? Process monitor didn't help me.

Thanks
Danny
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello Danny,

I am assuming that your 2008R2 terminal servers are 64bit?

Unfortunately version v2.50e-3 was not shipped with 64bit printer drivers because that time they didn’t exist.

As mentioned above, we suggest upgrading to our current version of the Amyuni PDF Converter.

Thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
rvacrn

Post by rvacrn »

Hi Danny,

I'm not aware of any issue when we migrated to Win2008R2 (from Win2003). Based on Jose's reply I suspect there were 64-bit drivers available for 2.51.

Back to the Win2012 issue... I used one the drill down tools for pdf files (PDF Vole) and the issue seems to be related to the fonts Encoding. Specifically, on Win2008 the node is something like...
...Encoding 11 0 R/Type/Font...
...11 0 obj
<</Differences[32 /space/S/i...]/BaseEncoding/WinAnsiEncoding/Type/Encoding>>

while on Win2012 is
11 0 obj
<</Differences[32/c3/c54/c76...]/BaseEncoding/WinAnsiEncoding/Type/Encoding>>

After editing the Win2012 pdf and replacing the /Differences string for every font (with the one from the pdf converted on Win2008), the file displays correctly.

Any idea if there is anything we can tweak to make it work?

Thanks,
Radu
rvacrn

Post by rvacrn »

Further investigation showed that dropping MULTILINGUALSUPPORT will result in a readable pdf. However, it looks like the font is changed for some text (e.g. Arial in the rtf to Arial-Italic in pdf).
Attempting to embed the font is unsuccessful (there are several threads in the forum where various issues with MULTILINGUALSUPPORT and font embedding are reported).