Printer jobs stay in state "restarting" / pdf files corrupt

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
beckma20

Printer jobs stay in state "restarting" / pdf files corrupt

Post by beckma20 »

We use Amyuni PDF Converter Version 4.5.2.5 on a Windows 2012 R2 Server.
Sometimes print jobs stay in the state "restarting". The corresponding PDF file on disk is corrupt (incomplete).
Stopping and restarting these jobs doesn't change anything. The jobs still stay in the state "restarting".

In the Windows Event log there are no errors at the time the corrupt PDF files have been created, but there is an informational message
saying the Windows service "Device Setup Manager" (DsmSvc) was started.
This service is new with Windows 2012. The start mode is set to "Manual (Start by trigger)".
This service is started from time to time and stops after a few minutes.

What triggers this service to start and could the start of this service lead to corrupt PDF files?
I wonder, if the hanging print jobs / corrupt PDF files are the CAUSE of the start of the service or the EFFECT?
Are there any experiences with this service?
I found little documentation of this service. Microsoft just says, "if you deactivate this service you probably get an instable system"...

The PDF printer is configured to the port "NUL:" as it is recommended for 64 Bit Windows systems.
We tried both - printing directly and through the printer spooler. The problem occurs in both cases.

There are several application processes using the PDF printer probably simultaneously. Every process uses the PDF printer only in one thread at a time.

Any experiences with such a problem?
Thank you for any comments and hints!
beckma20

Re: Printer jobs stay in state "restarting" / pdf files corrupt

Post by beckma20 »

Additional information:

Every time the problem occurs, I found the following entry in the Windows Event log:

Protokollname: Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin
Quelle: Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager
Datum: 15.04.2015 09:31:07
Ereignis-ID: 112
Aufgabenkategorie:Keine
Ebene: Informationen
Schlüsselwörter:
Benutzer: SYSTEM
Computer: MYserver.company.local
Beschreibung:
Das Gerät "MBI PDFWriter 4.5" ({95fc3aed-d714-f9af-ae3c-9e6a4114cf0d}) wurde verarbeitet. Verarbeitete Aufgaben: 5. Geschriebene Eigenschaften: 91. Aktive Arbeitszeit: 1500 Millisekunden.
Ereignis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager" Guid="{FCBB06BB-6A2A-46E3-ABAA-246CB4E508B2}" />
<EventID>112</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-04-15T07:31:07.447951600Z" />
<EventRecordID>7351</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="796" ThreadID="14000" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin</Channel>
<Computer>MYserver.company.local</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="Prop_DeviceName">MBI PDFWriter 4.5</Data>
<Data Name="Prop_ContainerId">{95FC3AED-D714-F9AF-AE3C-9E6A4114CF0D}</Data>
<Data Name="Prop_TaskCount">5</Data>
<Data Name="Prop_PropertyCount">91</Data>
<Data Name="Prop_WorkTime_MilliSeconds">1500</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Jose
Amyuni Team

Re: Printer jobs stay in state "restarting" / pdf files corrupt

Post by Jose »

Hello,

In order to narrow down the possible source of this issue, I suggest the following:

1- Version v4.5.2.5 is not the most up to date version of v4.5 of the PDF Converter. If your company still has a valid product support and maintenance plan, I suggest that you download version v4.5.3.9 and install it on your server.

2- I verified the change log file (versions.txt) and it appears that in version v4.5.2.7 there was an improvement to the PDF Converter that may help your situation.

“Changed the default installation to RAW printing in order to improve multi-threading on 64-bit systems”

Also since you are printing in a multi-thread environment, if you have not already implemented this, I suggest that you look at our lock\unlock mechanism.

The link below provides more information about this.

https://www.amyuni.com/WebHelp/Amyuni_D ... s/Lock.htm

Thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite