SendSmtpMail causes exception c0000005

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
COMPUTECHMD

SendSmtpMail causes exception c0000005

Post by COMPUTECHMD »

I have never been able to successfully send email using SendSmtpMail (but have no problems sending using SendMail). In short, here is my problem:
"OLE exception error: Exception code c0000005. OLE object may be corrupt"

I have tried the program on 3 different computers (3 different locations) using several different SMTP server setups as follows:

General:
- VFP 9.0 SP1
- Amyuni PDF Converter 4.0.1.2 (activeX interface)
- Code (generic example) used as follows: p_olePdfout.SendSmtpMail("localhost",25,"me@mydomain.com","me@mydomain.com","","","Test SMTP E-Mail","SMTP Test (Includes Attachment)","C:\Testfile.pdf;Testfile.pdf")

Computer 1:
- Windows XP Pro 64 bit
- SMTP server on internet (requires authentication, which I know SendSmtpMail does not support) as mail.mydomain.com
- Nicely returns error code -13, which is fine (= error connecting to server, which I expect since authentication is not supported)
- Though I can't send, this is all as expected/normal

Computer 2:
- Windows XP Home 32 bit
- Tried 2 different local SMTP servers (no authentication required) as follows:
- Softstack.com 'Free SMTP Server' as 'localhost', setup/tried both ports 25 & 465 (note: not a great SMTP server, also has 10 msg/day limit)
- PostCastServer.com 'PostCast Server Free Edition' port 25, as 'Mycomputername' (note: amazing SMTP server, and free/unlimited - this is preferred free server by far)
- The above works fine when I use Outlook Express setup to these SMTP server names/ports, no authentication and default settings, to send a normal/manual email.
- When I try and send using SendSmtpMail with same settings, I always get a "OLE exception error: Exception code c0000005. OLE object may be corrupt" crash, with both above SMTP servers and every combination of settings.

Computer 3:
- Windows XP Pro (not sure if 32 or 64 bit)
- Microsoft Exchange Server (SBS 2008) setup for SMTP server without authentication for this computer/user as 'MDaemin-US' port 25
- Same exact results as Computer 2 (i.e. I always get a "OLE exception error: Exception code c0000005. OLE object may be corrupt" crash)

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the PDF Converter, always full success. There is no other software that uses Amyuni products on these computers, and there has never been any version (major/minor) of any Amyuni product on any of these computers. SendMail (MAPI) always works fine on all these computers, as does PDF creation - it is only SendSmtpMail that always fails/crashes...

Anyone have any ideas, or is this a known issue with version 4???

Thanks in advance!
Rich

Re: SendSmtpMail causes exception c0000005

Post by Rich »

You can try SendSmtpMailEx and it includes the use of username and password.
Can you generate a SMTP log file? The log file will be generated just creating the file c:/temp/AmyuniSmtpClient.log - this file should be created as an empty text file

More information is also covered in our online documentation and I have referenced 2 pages from there:
http://amyuni.com/WebHelp/Amyuni_Docume ... ethods.htm
http://amyuni.com/WebHelp/Amyuni_Docume ... (SMTP).htm

You can always download a trial version of our latest product offering. With Windows 7 and 64-bit OS becoming the standards in the PC market, all the aspects of running under these environments have been reviewed and optimized for Version 4.5.

** 02sep11 **

What we have discovered are those that are in the (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London Time Zone and are using the "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Savings Time" need to uncheck that box until our next scheduled release.
Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - http://www.amyuni.com