InstallShield best practices distribution

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
COMPUTECHMD

InstallShield best practices distribution

Post by COMPUTECHMD »

Is there any documentation on best practices when using InstallShield to distribute/install Amyuni PDF Converter?

I can't find anything in the doc, tech notes, white papers, etc other than occasional mention of issues in the forums (but no suggested way of doing it there) - would this not be a popular method of distributing/installing? I think it would be of great benefit to have a best practices (including specifics) tech note related to this.

The doc is also inconsistent as far as which files need to be distributed (some say amyuni.inf and atpdf400.cat are always needed, others don't list them at all) and inconsistent on things like install.exe parameters (is there a '-l' parameter for disable log generation or not), so ideally if Amyuni could create an InstallShield tech note, that would be fantastic; in the meantime, if anyone has recommendations re experiences with things like:
- Amyuni install files location: temporary/erase or leave install files there, use Disk1, in a subdir of installed application, in same dir as installed application (I don't like this last option, I've seen it used by many, but not very clean or good practice)
- Installation: Create a re-distributable/prerequisite package (ideal - does Amyuni already have one available?), or use Custom Actions (recommended stage, settings, issues re install and uninstall)

I can spend hours and hours playing with and sorting this out myself, optimizing it and making it as clean as possible, but I have a feeling others have already done that, and it would be great if the knowledge/experience could be shared and consolidated in one place for all.

Thanks!
Rich

Re: InstallShield best practices distribution

Post by Rich »

The complete list of distributable files can be found here:
http://www.amyuni.com/WebHelp/Amyuni_Do ... verter.htm

It is true that an InstallShield technical note would be quite helpful and we thank you for the recommendation. We will try to provide the technical note in the near future.
Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - http://www.amyuni.com