PDF/A embedded fonts and file size

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
albgio

PDF/A embedded fonts and file size

Post by albgio »

Hello,
I'm trying to create PDF/A-1b files with PDF converter v4.50. To create them, I used IO_XMPMETADATA + IO_OUTPUTPDFA8 flags in SetImageOptions.
Acrobat 9 Pro shows an alert about PDF/A view mode, but it doesn't validate it as PDF/A-1b - I've got 2 errors about fonts, but they're not in english so I'm not sure about translations... one should be about missing glyphs, and the other about multiple CMaps.
In order to pass Acrobat check, I've got to use full embed and embed standard fonts in SetFileNameOptions, but file size increase is +200% (from 40kb to 840)!!! Looking for a workaround I've tried to change the font, so I used Courier instead of CourierNew... Here's the big surprise: file size is even smaller than the first pdf (10 kb), but the embedded font is Arial instead of Courier, and Acrobat's check says that file isn't PDF/A-1b because font is not embedded and text rendering mode is not "3"...
So please, can someone help figure out what happened? How can I create a PDF/A-1b having a reasonable file size? Printing the very same document on the very same pc with another pdf printer create a 20 kb size pdf, embeds the right font (Courier) and pass Acrobat's check...

Thanks in advance
Gio
Devteam

Re: PDF/A embedded fonts and file size

Post by Devteam »

The right font embedding settings for PDF/A are:
Multi-language support
Partial font embebbing (Full font embedding disabled)
Embed standard fonts
Amyuni Development Team

Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - https://www.amyuni.com