0x80040140 Error drawing view

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
AndrewMaki

0x80040140 Error drawing view

Post by AndrewMaki »

I am having a very strange occurance
I am trying to print a large number of documents in excess of 30k
i am only able to make it through maybe 9500 before i get a hard crash

I am using the pdfobject.EnablePrinter( with my information here, and here) just prior to initiating my printing command.
this command is called for each of the reports.

I am getting OLE error 0x80040140 Error drawing view
when running this command REPORT FORM (m.reportform) TO PRINTER NODIALOG NOCONSOLE &filterclause &summaryclause

4 runs of same data set, and same report
files created ; total size of files in bytes.
9619 ; 228,569,798
9595 ; 227,999,343
9562 ; 227,215,098
9474 ; 225,122,557

machine has 2GB ram, plenty of HD and swap files .
CPU usage is mimimal and memory usage is at about 60 percent when the crash occurs.
sometime VFP will report it does not have enough memory to complete command just prior to closing the application completely.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions. Very frustrating.
Thanks in advance.
AndrewMaki
AndrewMaki

Re: 0x80040140 Error drawing view

Post by AndrewMaki »

Am i the only one having these issues? After creating about 221Mb worth of PDF's, My VFP 9.0 SP2 application dies a miserable death.
I've enabled the printer before each document, tried batching a dozen or so documents. All with the same Error Drawing View OLE error.

Bueller? Bueller?
Anyone? Suggestions?
AndrewMaki

Post by AndrewMaki »

I thought maybe it might be a memory percentage issue so i moved to a quad core machine with 8GB ram. Same scenario as above. HELP!
Devteam

Post by Devteam »

The post doesn't say which version of PDF Converter you are using but you might want to try to latest version. We had one issue with some specific Type1 fonts creating memory leaks and eventually crashing the application. Do you have any special fonts in your reports or only the regular TrueType fonts?

Other things to try:
- The crash might be coming from VFP. You can try printing to file on another printer and see if you are able to generate a larger number of files
- Try isolating the real source of the crash e.g. by instanatiating the ActiveX and do all your calls except the PrintReport call, you might be creating too many ActiveX controls and not freeing them correctly
- Check if in the printer panel, you have too may print jobs printing simultaneously which might cause memory issues either in VFP or the print spooler. If this is the case, try reducing the number of simultaneous prints by waiting a few milliseconds after each print job
Amyuni Development Team

Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - https://www.amyuni.com
AndrewMaki

Post by AndrewMaki »

I'm using 3.0 but it also occurs identically in 4.5.

no special fonts
tried the isolation method.
Print spooler is not the issue as there are typically very small files. all text. 1 page. so at most there is one printing and one is spooling at any given time.

I've not tried just sending to .prn or .xps yet. I guess i'll try that next to see if it is a vfp issue. strange how i can't seem to find out much on this 'error drawing view' error message anywhere.