Server 2008 R2 x64 RPC Server unavailable (code 1722)

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
sierdw

Server 2008 R2 x64 RPC Server unavailable (code 1722)

Post by sierdw »

Hi,

I have a problem installing the Amyuni PDF converter 4.0.1.0 on a Server 2008 R2 x64 Terminal Server. When running the pdfinst.exe it tells me, after it hung for a couple of seconds that the RPC Server is unavailable:

Code: Select all

PDF-Printer-log:
Windows 64-bit x86 Install
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printer setup failed
Error Code: 1722
The RPC-server is unavailable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have tried and checked the following:
- Make sure the RPC Server Service is running and set to automatic start
- Make sure the Spooling Service is running and set to automatic start
- Rebooted the Server

Does anyone have an other suggestion how I can make this work?
sierdw

Re: Server 2008 R2 x64 RPC Server unavailable (code 1722)

Post by sierdw »

Hi all,

Still haven't been able to fix this. It seems that the printer installs when I use the -p parameter which seems to prevent the Spooler service from restarting. Only problem is that the installation of the PDF-printer is integrated in the installer from the complete program, so I can't pass the -p parameter in the complete installation.

I did notice that manually restarting the Spooler service takes quite a long time, about 1 minute. Could it be that the install.exe for the PDF-printer times out within that minute? If so, does anyone know how to speed-up the restart of the Spooler-service, or can anyone give me a reason for a slow restarting Spooler service?

Hope anyone can help.
Devteam

Post by Devteam »

This might happen if you have any print jobs pending in any of the printers installed on the system. Check that none of your printers has a print job that is in error and delete the print jobs.

Note that by default, our installer does not try to restart the spooler, this was in the very early versions of PDF Converter. Also pdfinst.exe is not the name of our installer so we don't know exactly what this installer might be doing.
Amyuni Development Team

Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - https://www.amyuni.com
sierdw

Post by sierdw »

Thanks for your reply; we solved the problem yesterday:

It seemed an other PDF printer (NOVA Pdf) was installed on the system. Deleting this printer from the printers did not have any result. Complete uninstalling this NOVA Pdf printer from Start > Programs > Nova PDF > Uninstall and next rebooting the server worked for us.

btw, pdfinst.exe seems to be a renamed install.exe