What registry changes are needed for “Spool print ...."?

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
Patsy

What registry changes are needed for “Spool print ...."?

Post by Patsy »

What exact registry changes are needed for “Spool print documents…” to solve my 64-bit 2003 Server problems?

We have a 2003 R2 64bit Server with Terminal Services. Initially the cdintf400.dll is not registered in SysWow64 and then when we do that, it hangs. We don't seem to have any of these problems on more recent 2008 64 bit servers with version 4 of the Amyuni PDF Converter. I have completed the following actions as recommended by various places in your forum and now we are able to print successfully:
#1) In c:\windows\sysWow64 I called regsvr32 on the cdintf400.dll that resides in that directory.
#2) I then set the driver properties on the Advanced tab from "Print directly to the printer" to "Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster" and uncheck "Enable advanced printing features".

However, we do not want our users do have to do this by hand, so we need to register and also change these driver properties during install. From reading on the forum, my understanding is that it can't be done through the install.ini file. So, the only way I can think to do this is that we must change it through the registry settings after we install the Converter. I have looked at the differences that occur in my registry settings when I change the driver properties by hand, which are more or less identical in 3 HKLM subkey places in the registry:
The 3 places I saw that we need to make identical changes are (FYI - we rename the PDF Converter to this name: XX PDF Converter):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers\XX PDF Converter]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\ XX PDF Converter]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\ XX PDF Converter]

The differences I saw initially were a lot of changes to these registry settings: In the XX PDF Converter root ChangeID, Status and Attributes were changed, and in the DsSpooler subkey, the printSpooling string value was changed and a url string value was added with a value of <my computer name>. In subsequent changes, only the ChangeID, Attributes and printSpooling was changed.

My question is:

1) First of all, is this the right approach to change the registry settings (in the 3 HKLM subkey places mentioned above) after your install or do you recommend or provide another way, ….

2) …and secondly do we need all of these changes, or is there a minimum set of registry changes that can be made? For example, do we really need the ChangeID, Status change or the url added? Can we just limit the changes to Attributes and printSpooling, which seem to be the pertinent value changes we need for spooling and unchecking the Advanced print features setting?

Thanks for any info/confirmation you can provide.
-- Patsy
Jim

Re: What registry changes are needed for “Spool print ...."?

Post by Jim »

We have found that the commands below can be executed from a DOS prompt to set the correct printer settings for 64 bit OS's. I'm curious why Amyuni has not built this functionality into their install, seeing how this is required for the printer to work in a 64 bit OS.

1. Select "Spool print documents so program finishes faster"

equivalent from command line:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Xs /n "Amyuni PDF Converter" attributes -Direct

2. Select "Start printing immediately"

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Xs /n "Amyuni PDF Converter" attributes -Queued

3. Uncheck the box "Enable printing features"

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Xs /n "Amyuni PDF Converter" attributes +RawOnly
MGR

Post by MGR »

Thanks, this is a really great tip, I was using a direct registry hack (by reverse engineering the values) then stopping and restarting the spooler. This solution seems a lot better.
sprezzatura

Post by sprezzatura »

Jim wrote:1. Select "Spool print documents so program finishes faster"
2. Select "Start printing immediately"
3. Uncheck the box "Enable printing features"
God Bless you Sir! You are a genius. Our (32-bit) app was hanging, and three customers report this fixed their problem. Interestingly, two of them have Quicken (which uses Amyuni).

How did you figure this out? Thank you profusely.