Problem as Standard User on non-English Vista OS

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
MGR

Problem as Standard User on non-English Vista OS

Post by MGR »

On non-English Vista OS you are not setting the permissions of HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\<PDF printer name> to include "Everyone" read/write.

This means that standard user will get -20 activation error since it cannot write to the registry key.

I think this is because you're using the hard-coded "Everyone" in your setup script. That's only good on English OS. Instead you should use the well-known SID for Everyone which is language neutral.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

This affects all versions of Converter , up to and including 4.0.0.7

Please consider fixing this in a future release.

Workaround for now: I need to set the permissions myself from my Installation script after the Amyuni installer is run.
Ger van der Kamp

Re: Problem as Standard User on non-English Vista OS

Post by Ger van der Kamp »

We are experiencing the same Problem with 4.0.0.7 on German Vista and Windows 7 installations. When can we expect an Update?
MGR

Post by MGR »

I'm a user, not working for Amyuni, but for my InstallShield, what I did was use the sample of GrantFullRegAccess here:

http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=168440

but I found out GrantFullRegAccess is missing one line in the switch statement: it should also have:

case HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG: sBase = "CONFIG";

Then from my InstallSield script I call:

GrantFullRegAccess(HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG, "SOFTWARE\\My PDF Printer Name");

where "My PDF Printer Name" is the name you gave the PDF printer when you installed.
dmurillo

Post by dmurillo »

This problem is still present in PDF Converter 4.0.8.

Install is ok, but printing from non-elevated application gives printer error -20.

Devteam, you have been told about this problem since July 8 2009, how can you explain this is still not fixed in your "Certified for Windows 7" version?
zaksoft

Post by zaksoft »

Tomorrow we have to install 3 x W7 32bit Italian and 1 x W7 64bit italian (under domain with restricted user access right - ie to avoid they can install or remove printers, etc - many users can have access to machines with their domain account).

Any information about
A) Exact workaround for using lastest version without problems
B) Sceduled time (if any) for a release that fix the problem.

TIA.
dmurillo

Post by dmurillo »

I talked with Jose Pimentel about this problem on 2009-11-04, he was supposed to get back to me the next day (yesterday).
I haven't heard back from Jose so I have reverted to patch Amyuni's problem by using the necessary API's to add "Full access" rights to the "Everyone" group (this is what happens on a English OS) on the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\YourDriverNameHere registry key.
Devteam

Post by Devteam »

This fix did not make it on time for the 4.0.0.8 release but was included in 4.0.0.9 which is available as an unsigned printer driver and is currently being submitted for digital signature and Microsoft certification. The Microsoft certification is a lengthy process since we now have 8 platforms on which we certify the product: Windows XP, Vista, 2008 and Windows 7, all in 32 and 64-bit modes. The certified 4.0.0.9 version is expected to become available by December 11, 2009. In the meantime you can request the unsigned version from technical support.
Amyuni Development Team

Efficient and accurate conversion to PDF, XPS, PDF/A and more. Free trials at - https://www.amyuni.com
MGR

Post by MGR »

Hi Devteam, thanks very much, it's great news.
zaksoft

Post by zaksoft »

Devteam wrote:The certified 4.0.0.9 version is expected to become available by December 11, 2009
Can you confirm release date ?
Davide Zaccanti
AccountView

Post by AccountView »

Do you have any idea on a current release date?
barnabas

Post by barnabas »

We are desperately waiting for the version 4.0.0.9! :?
The certified 4.0.0.9 version is expected to become available by December 11, 2009
It's very urgent, our customers are getting impatient. Is there a fixed date?
I can't even find the unsigned version in the technical support... how to get this?
I would be happy about a fast reply. Thank you!
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

The Microsoft certified version 4.0.10 of the PDF Converter should be available shortly (10 days).

Thanks
Jose
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
zaksoft

Post by zaksoft »

Jose wrote:The Microsoft certified version 4.0.10 of the PDF Converter should be available shortly (10 days).
Confirmed for tomorrow ? we have postponed software release to next monday (and we have to make a full setup rebuild) to have certified drivers...

TIA
Davide Zaccanti
zaksoft

Post by zaksoft »

An update about this task (opened since july - 6 months) and a date of availability of new signed setup is kindly requested...

Thank you.
Davide Zaccanti
dmurillo

Post by dmurillo »

Jose wrote:Hello,

The Microsoft certified version 4.0.10 of the PDF Converter should be available shortly (10 days).

Thanks
Jose
Even if you meant 10 business days, time is up, where is the updated driver? Do you have a new ETA?

TIA