Version 4.0.0.2 printing only as admin using Vista 32-bit

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
oalbrecht

Version 4.0.0.2 printing only as admin using Vista 32-bit

Post by oalbrecht »

Hello,

i'm just testing the 4.0 version with our program.
Under Vista 32-bit i can only print if i run the app as admin.

ProcessMonitor shows that the want's to write under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\0001\Software\DATAflor Document Printer

which is not allowed for non-admins.

What to do?

kind regards

Oliver Albrecht
DATAflor AG
David
Amyuni Team

Re: Version 4.0.0.2 printing only as admin using Vista 32-bit

Post by David »

Hello

Writing to this location is done by windows when installing the printer driver. Installation of the printer can only be done by a user that has Administrative rights on the system.

One of the fundamental requirements of the PDF Converter is that, in order to install the PDF Converter on all versions of windows, the logged in user must have Admin privileges on the PC. This is the case when using install.exe or PDFDriverInit().

In your case, it seems that you are trying to install the printer while looged as a non-admin user. Doing this will still require that you mark your exe to be run with administrative authority.

In order to resolve your issue you need to permanently install the PDF Converter on the user system and replace the PDFDriverInit() call in your application with the DriverInit() call. The DriverInit() will not install a printer driver but rather will give you access to the printer handle. In this situation your application will not require administrator rights to run.

Hope that helps.
David
Amyuni Custom Development
Do you need a specific PDF solution? Are you looking for expertise that will enable you to start or complete a PDF integration project?
http://www.amyuni.com/en/company/services.php
oalbrecht

Re: Version 4.0.0.2 printing only as admin using Vista 32-bit

Post by oalbrecht »

Hello David,

the printer is installed permanently and i call DriverInit().

The only thing that is different compared to prior versions is
that i must use (in Delphi)

Code: Select all

CreateOleObject('CDIntfEx.CDIntfEx.4') as ICDIntfEx;
using

Code: Select all

CreateOleObject('CDIntfEx.CDIntfEx') as ICDIntfEx
as before gives me an
"interface not supported exception".

kind regards

Oliver Albrecht