Speed options?

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
Wayne Sniffen

Speed options?

Post by Wayne Sniffen »

Are there any tips or advice on speeding up the Converter? Version 4 seems a bit slower than 3, but I also have upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007.

I saw a post on turing off Broadcast messages. Is Broadcast messages turned off by default? Here is how I am setting FileNameOptionsEx.

m_AmyPrinter.FileNameOptionsEx = 1 + 2
Jose
Amyuni Team

Re: Speed options?

Post by Jose »

Hello,

The Broadcast message option is not turned on by default and will only get enabled if you explicitly enable it.

We run a number of different tests printing with different combinations of versions of Office and PDF Converters and we have not noticed in performance slowdowns.

Are you using the same PC and office documents in your tests?

Thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
Wayne Sniffen

Post by Wayne Sniffen »

Jose wrote:Hello,
Are you using the same PC and office documents in your tests?
We are using the same documents as before except we also now have some pdf documents that were created by Word 2007. What I am doing is converting all our documents to pdfs. Some are pdfs created by other apps, some are pdfs created by the Converter, and some are pdfs created by Word 2007. Then I append all the pdfs using the CDIntfEx.Document Append method. What seems a bit slower is this append process. Below is my code that does the append. Do you see anyway to speed this up?

Dim doc1, doc2 As CDIntfEx.Document
Dim FirstDoc, LastDoc As Integer

FirstDoc = inNextDoc
LastDoc = inNextDoc
doc1 = New CDIntfEx.Document
doc1.SetLicenseKey(clsConstants.AmyuniLicensee, clsConstants.AmyuniLicenseCode)
doc2 = New CDIntfEx.Document
doc2.SetLicenseKey(clsConstants.AmyuniLicensee, clsConstants.AmyuniLicenseCode)

doc1.Open(PDFOutputFile & "-" & inRequest.DetailCollection(FirstDoc).BulkPrintDetailSeqNum.ToString & ".PDF")
If clsConstants.PrintDuplexOverride Then
If doc1.PageCount Mod 2 > 0 Then
doc1.Append(BlankPageFile)
End If
End If

For x As Integer = FirstDoc + 1 To inRequest.DetailCollection.Count - 1
doc2.Open(PDFOutputFile & "-" & inRequest.DetailCollection(x).BulkPrintDetailSeqNum.ToString & ".PDF")
If doc2.PageCount + doc1.PageCount < clsConstants.MaxSpoolSize Then
LastDoc = x
doc1.AppendEx(doc2)
If doc1.PageCount Mod 2 > 0 Then
doc1.Append(BlankPageFile)
End If
End If
Else
Exit For
End If
Next

doc1.Creator = "Requested by " & inRequest.CreateUser & " for " & inRequest.DestUser
inPageCount += doc1.PageCount
clsLogManager.WriteMessage(clsConstants.LOG_SPOOL_CHUNK, inRequest.BulkPrintSeqNum, FirstDoc + 1, LastDoc + 1, doc1.PageCount)
doc1.Title = "Bulkprint Job #" & inRequest.BulkPrintSeqNum.ToString & " " & CStr(FirstDoc + 1) & " to " & CStr(LastDoc + 1)

doc1.Print(CurrentDuplexDevice, 1, doc1.PageCount, 1)
Else
doc1.Print(CurrentDevice, 1, doc1.PageCount, 1)
End If

doc2 = Nothing
doc1 = Nothing
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

Unfortunately I am not sure how to reply to your question.

You are comparing to different versions of our products but you are using different PDF documents in your test. I suspect that if you use the same documents in your tests you will find similar results.

The source code for the append() methods in ver 3.0 and ver 4.0 are identical.

Also looking at your code snippet I don’t see where you can optimize it any further.

Thanks
Get PDF Suite, the expert .NET developer toolkit for PDF conversion, creation and editing - www.amyuni.com/pdfsuite
Wayne Sniffen

Post by Wayne Sniffen »

I guess I was hoping there might have been an option to turn on or off that would speed things up. :D Something like oh yeah you can turn off broadcasting.

Thanks for your help. I will try to optimize it other ways.