Latest version and features / fixes list.

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
jevason

Latest version and features / fixes list.

Post by jevason »

Hi.

I notice that some postings mention that 2.10 is now available. I have visited the updates page and it seems that I am restricted to 2.08d as the most recent update that I can get. Is this correct ?

Also, it would be very useful to be able to see the versions.txt file as each new version is released in order to keep up with bug fixes. Can you post the latest versions.txt file here ?

James.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello James,

A demo version 2.10 is available at: http://www.amyuni.com/en/products/pdf_c ... /demo.html

Version 2.10 is a major release of the PDF Converter and it is not an update to version 2.0x this is why it is not online in our updates page.

If you wish to upgrade your current product you need to contact our Sales sales@amyuni.com or Support support@amyuni.com

Along with the demo you will receive the file Versions.txt.

"Versions.txt" is updated while releasing any minor or major release, this is why it is not very practical to put here each and every versionof "Versions.txt".

Thanks.
jevason

Post by jevason »

Joan,

I have to admit to becoming confused. In my post re rotated text issues you mention the iminent availability of 2.09.

Now you tell me 2.10 is already available but not on an update basis.

Can you clear up the confusion for me ?

Also, in order decide to move to 2.10 I need information about the benefits - i.e. new features and/or bugs resolved. Where can I get this information from ?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

I mentioned 2.1 because you asked about it. Let me give you some information to clear the confustion:

We have two versions of the driver 2.0x and 2.1x.

2.1x is a new release, it is an upgrade to version 2.0x and a demo of this version is downloadable from: http://www.amyuni.com/en/products/pdf_c ... /demo.html

2.09 is the latest version in the 2.0x series, it contains some bug fixes among them a fixed issue with rotated text. This update is currently available for our users at: http://www.amyuni.com/en/support/updates.html

If you have a problem with rotated text you are not oblige to upgrade to version 2.10, you can download an update to version 2.09.

Currently, we are supporting both version 2.0x and 2.1x so bugs are fixed in both version.

Now concerning version 2.10, here is the list of its new features and main advantages:

- There are less files to distribute and install
- You only need to install one global printer driver that enables you to generate PDF / HTML / RTF / Excel and Jpeg.
- Improved output quality due to the optimization phase done on the PDF file before exporting to RTF / HTML / Excel and Jpeg
- You can generate several different file types simultaneously
- This modular product is customizable, select 2, 3, 4 or all 5 modules

I hope this clears the confustion a little bit.
jevason

Post by jevason »

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately you seem to be saying that the policy is that we have to ask for information comparing versions so we will probably be having the same conversation again at the time of the next release.

Another question on policy - since the 2.09/2.10 split is obviously there to maximise your profit by ensuring that new features generate new income (something I have nothing against as long as a bug fix to an 'old' feature is not only available in the new-cost version), what is the comitment to the longevity of the 2.09 stream ? When will it become unsupported ?

And further, please convey to Amyuni that the thought of two code streams is slightly worrying - why not use a single code stream and 'feature locks' to ensure that we are always on the most up to date code and that your development team only have the one code stream to develop, test and support. This might get a bit back for the bottom line.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello Jason,

I general, when sending a note about a new release we include all the bug fixes and new features available in this release.

I will add at the end of my reply the text of the e-mail we sent on Friday, most probably you already receive it.

Concerning your other questions:

- I guess he split is not precisely to maximize the profit from new features. We have a major version that is released each year. This major version include new features and our customers receive it as an 'upgrade' not an 'update'. 2.1 is a major version.
2.09 is released precisely to support the 2.0x so our customers who have a bug in 2.0x will not have to upgrade to 2.1 to fix the bug.

- I am not sure till when version 2.0x will be supported. This needs to be checked with our management. If you have a maintenance plan you can ensure to get an upgrade to version 2.1 for free. For more details about maintenance please contact our Saled department Sales@amyuni.com

- I guess what you are mentioning about one code stream, is already applied with version 2.1. This is one driver that contains all the converters :PDF, HTML, RTF, Jpeg and Excel and all the features like Encryption, Linearization, ect...
These features are logged or not depending on the modules the customer purchase.

Please find below the release note we sent when announcing the release of version 2.09 and 2.1.

Have a great day !

===============================================
Amyuni Technologies would like to announce the release of:
Version 2.09 of Amyuni PDF Converter
Version 2.10d of Amyuni Document Converter (PDF/RTF/HTML/JPeg/Excel)

Version 2.09
Improvements:
- Install through Install.exe or PDFDriverInit now works if no LPT1:
port is available (attaches to any other available port)

Bug fixes:
- Lines drawn with NULL_PEN attribute appearing in the PDF file under
2000/XP.
- With some colored bitmaps, black pixels were being replaced with white
pixels
- Fixed size and spacing of rotated text
- Removed searching for duplicate images in document as this was very
slow and created problems. This is now optional in version 2.1

Version 2.10d
Improvements:
- Install through Install.exe or PDFDriverInit now works if no LPT1:
port is available (attaches to any other available port)
- Added an option to automatically print the output document in addition
to saving it to file.
- Created .NET specific controls in CDIntfNet.DLL that contain most
common functions and events of CDIntf

Bug fixes:
- Lines drawn with NULL_PEN attribute appearing in the PDF file under
2000/XP.
- With some colored bitmaps, black pixels were being replaced with white
pixels
- Fixed size and spacing of rotated text
- Made the search for duplicate images in document optional as this
option significantly reduces printing performance.
- Fixed problem with insufficient image data with some CCITT compressed
images.
- Fixed problem with Excel export generating empty documents with
certain configurations.
===============================================