Can I improve performance on inserting a watermark?

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
BillMunro

Can I improve performance on inserting a watermark?

Post by BillMunro »

We use PDF Converter to generate large PDF reports numbering hundreds of pages. We now need to be able to "turn on" one of several watermarks in a report that we've already produced. My current thinking is to call MergeFiles() and merge in the appropriate watermark to all the pages of the report.

This works fine, but performance is not good enough. E.g. the process takes 0.5 seconds on a small (38 page) report - which is ok, but it takes 42.6 seconds on a large (435 page) report, which will not work for us. I tested with the 2.10 version...we also use the 2.51 version but I had no reason to think it would perform better.

Any suggestions on how to improve this (including using PDF Creator or anything else)?

Thanks.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

We have lately changed the Merge algorithm to make the merge function quicker.

You can try our next release of the PDF Converter due beginning of December.

Please note that if your watermark is a text you can use the SetWatermak() function to add it to the document. It is only when your watermark is an image or a pdf file that you need to use the MergeFiles() function to merge it to the original document.

Hope this helps.
Custom Brand the Amyuni PDF Printer Driver http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/branding/index.html

Amyuni PDF Converter tested for true PDF performance. View results - http://www.amyuni.com/benchmark
BillMunro

Watermark...

Post by BillMunro »

I look forward to the new version with quicker MergeFiles function.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can use the SetWatermark function because we don't know which watermark to add until some time after we generate the PDF (we're using watermarks as part of a workflow process).

Our parent company uses an approach where they insert multiple watermarks as PDEForm XObjects (using the Datalogics library) during generation of the PDF and then, in a post-process step, hide the appropriate watermarks. This hiding step is very fast and we might be able to use that approach if we could figure out, using Amyuni, how to add the PDEForm objects during generation of the PDF.