Copy count ignored

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
ColinParker

Copy count ignored

Post by ColinParker »

Using developer version 2.1
If a copy count is specified from an application, e.g. Internet Explorer, only a single page is produced in the PDF file.
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hi,

Printing multiple copies of the same document is available from the user interface. We are going to look at what you have mentioned closer. I will post any information I receive in our user's forum.

Thanks
ColinParker

Post by ColinParker »

Jose
Is there any news on this yet? (we are holding off ordering) :roll:
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

Printing multiple copies of a PDF document using the "copies" option of the user either interface or programmatically is not relevant to the PDF format.
Example, if the user chooses to print 2 copies of the PDF, does the user want 2 separate files or does he/she want these to documents appended together. When printing to a physical printer, the user will receive 2 paper copies.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
ColinParker

Post by ColinParker »

Jose
I'm afraid this doesn't help.

We are using the Converter as part of a 'controlled-printing' solution. If a user chooses to print 2 copies of an MS-Word doc. and the Converter only produces a PDF file containing one copy, how will our application know to print two copies of the PDF file? There's also the question of page collation to consider.

I believe that the Converter should produce a single PDF file containing multiple copies of the Word document either in the order 1,2,3,1,2,3 or 1,1,2,2,3,3 depending on the collation setting.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello Colin,

To help you with this you can do the following:

When printing the MS Word document to a physical printer you use the 'copies' options.

When printing the Word document to the PDF Printer, if you whish to have a pdf file containins pages 1,2,3,1,2,3 you can follow the below pseudocode:
SetFileNameOptions = NoPrompt + UseFileName
Print the document to the PDF Printer
SetFileNameOptions = NoPrompt + UseFileName + Concatenate
Print the same word document to the PDF Printer.

You will get one pdf file containing two copies of this same document.

Hope this helps.
ColinParker

Post by ColinParker »

Hi Joan
I'm afraid that your 'solution' would not be acceptable. For one thing, how would our application know that it needed to add the Concatenate option?

The users of our product will be the general public (in a public library). If they see a prompt for 'Copies' and enter a number, they will complain if they only get one copy. It seems unreasonable for them to have to print the document multiple times (and also have no collation option).

Is there a technical reason why the Converter (driver) can't use the Copies and Collate settings logically?
ColinParker

Post by ColinParker »

Have you thought any more about this issue?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hi,

I thought about this further more. If you are using the Developer version of the PDF Converter, than you need to make all the printer settings from inside your application because with the developer version there is no User Interface.

So it is easy for you to use our Append or Concatenate functions to get the same effect as the multiple copies option.

You can add a checkbox to your application to select multiple copies or not and if multiple copies is selected you can have a field where the user user enter the number of copies he wants and select the collate option or not. These will be inputs that you gather and depending on them you write your code and use the concatenate or Append options.

If you feel that his is still not helpful, please send an e-mail to support@amyuni.com where you include what you want to do so we Engineers can check this issue more closely.

Thanks.