Error 1796

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
Jonny

Error 1796

Post by Jonny »

We regularily test our software under different Windows versions VMWare prior to releasing it. In the new version of our printing product, we are using the PDF Creator.

During testing under Windows 98 we encountered a strange error, so we investigated the problem further.

Running INSTALL.EXE exposes the same problem, it returns error 1796.

How do I get this to work?

Regards;
/jb
Jonny

Install.log

Post by Jonny »

When running install.exe the following log is created:

Windows 95/98/Me Install
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing PDF printer driver
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing PDF printer
Error Code: 1796
Den angivna porten är okänd.
Printer setup failed
Error Code: 1796
Den angivna porten är okänd.

It seems that it is unable to install because the machine lacks the LPT1 port?

How do I resolve this matter?

Regards;
/jb
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

As you mentioned, this error occurs if the machine on which you are trying to install the PDF Converter doesn't have a valid LPT1: port.

I guess you are using the PDF Converter, this is the PDF Printer that you can install using Install.exe, the PDF Creator is another product that we have, it is a PDF reader that edits , prints pdf files after they are generated.

If you are trying to install the PDF Converter on a machine that doesn't have an LPT1: port you may install the driver manually at any exising port (COM, or USB).

Or you can write a small script using PDFDriveInit to install the printer on a specific port.
You can call PDFDriverInit ("My Printer;COM1:") to install the printer on a specific port.

Hope this helps.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

>I guess you are using the PDF Converter

Yes, my mistake. (-:

>have an LPT1: port you may install the driver manually at
>any exising port (COM, or USB).

How do I perform a "manual install"?

>Or you can write a small script using PDFDriveInit to
>install the printer on a specific port.

In order to get the program to work in NT/2000/XP environments, I have created a small installation script with Wise Installmaster. The only thing it does is copy the DLL:s, and call INSTALL.EXE with the name of the printer to create as a parameter.

How would I go about to create an installation script without using the INSTALL.EXE program?

Regards;
/jb
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hi,

You can use the 'Add Printer' Wizard from the printer panel to install the PDF Printer manually on the system.

Or you can write a small script as follows to install the printer on the USB port (or any other available port). You can write this script in a text file and save it as .vbs. This script uses the ActiveX interface of CDIntf.
Option Explicit

Dim PDF

Set PDF = CreateObject("cdintf.cdintf")

PDF.PDFDriverInit( "PDF Printer;USB001" )
'Assuming that USB001 is the port name

PDF.DriverInit( "PDF Printer" ) 'To prevent the printer from being removed

Set PDF = Nothing

Have a nice day !
gammasync

Error 1796, Vmware, Quickbooks Pro 2003

Post by gammasync »

I'm trying to get PDF Converter installed.

It is the version which comes with Quickbooks Pro 2003.

I have Win98 installed under VMWare. There are no printers directly attached to the computer that is host to VMWware.

I've read this thread.

I cannot use "Add Printer" to manually add the PDF Converter printer, because it is not one of the choices given to me in the Add Printer list.

I tried running the suggested script, but Quickbooks Pro doesn't ship with the developer version, so PDFDriverInit isn't installed.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can get this working?

Thank you.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

You will need to check this issue with Quickbooks.

I am not sure if your problem is about not being able to call PDFDriverInit because you don't have adminstrative rights.

Or you are not able to install the printer because you don't have an LPT1: port.

We currently released a new version of the PDF and Document Converter that installs on any anvailable port even if you don't have an LPT1:

If you wish you may consider getting your own license of the driver if you wish to be able to generate pdf files from both Quickbooks and other Windows applications, in this case you will have the new version of the driver that installs on any available port on your system.

Have a nice day!
gammasync

Administrative Rights, Quickbooks assistance

Post by gammasync »

This is not an 'administrative rights' problem, as I am the only user on that Win98 computer, and have full priviledges.

Would you be available to talk with a representative from Quickbooks, explaining that this is a known problem and that a newer version of the software should fix this?

I've been able to print PDF email from Quickbooks Pro 2002. It is only in the upgrade to 2003 that PDF printing was broken. I assume it is a version change in the driver shipped with Quickbooks.

It looks like, from questions in this forum, that older versions of your software used a different port, a couple of versions required ability to connect to LPT1, and newer versions still will connect to the first available port. So, I believe that an upgrade to a newer version of PDF Converter will fix this problem.

Thank you.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Yes you are right.

Versions 1.5x of the driver intall on the PDF port.
Versions 2.0x of the driver install on the LPT1: port.
Versions 2.1x of the driver install on the first available port on the system.

Please let Quickbooks contact our Support Department support@amyuni.com and we will give them the needed information.

Hope this helps 8)