Which SetFileNameOptions settings encompass others?

The Amyuni PDF Converter is our Printer Driver that enables you to convert any documents to PDF format. If you have any questions about installing and using the Amyuni PDF Converter please post them here.
trumpetinc

Which SetFileNameOptions settings encompass others?

Post by trumpetinc »

Hi - I'm trying to figure out which settings will override other settings.

For example, if I set AutoImageCompression, I believe that the CCITTCompression and Color256Compression settings no longer make a difference. Is the Jpeg level also ignored?

With font embedding, which settings override others?

If I have EmbedFonts and FullEmbed set, is the behavior different than if I just hvae FullEmbed set?

What about for the EmbedSimulatedFonts, EmbedStandardFonts and EmbedLicensedFonts settings? Do these have any impact if FullEmbed is turned on? Do they only take effect if EmbedFonts is turned on?

Thanks much!

- K
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

When you are using compression, you need to select one compression option depending on the document you are converting. There is no need to select multiple compression options.

For Font Embedding, the settings can be complementary or not by example if you want to set FullFontEmbedding, you don't need to set Partial font Embedding too, but if you want to set Standard font embedding, you need to add partial font embedding too.

Hope this helps.
trumpetinc

Post by trumpetinc »

I'm sorry, but I'm going to need better clarification on this.

You said "you don't need to set partial font embedding too" - what does that mean? There is no option for setting partial font embedding...

I think that this is an area of the documentation that is quite unclear, and needs some updating.

From your comment on the image compression, is the following statement true?

<begin statement>
You can choose ZERO or ONE of the following (but not more than one). If you do choose more than one, the first selected item in the list will take precedence:

AutoImageCompression
Color256Compression
CCITTCompression
<end statement>

As for the font settings, is the following statement true?:

<begin statement>
You can choose ONE of the following two options - if you do choose more than one, the topmost selected option will take effect:

FullEmbed
EmbedFonts

If you do choose FullEmbed OR EmbedFonts, then you can choose ZERO or ANY combination of the following:

EmbedStandardFonts
EmbedLicensedFonts
EmbedSimulatedFonts

If you do not choose any of these, only the non-standard, non-licensed, non-simulated fonts will be embedded in the resultant PDF.

If FullEmbed is set, then the entire character set for the specified font types will be included in the resultant PDF, even if characters of that font are not used. If EmbedFonts is set, then only the used characters for the specified font types will be included in the resultant PDF.
<end statement>

Do I have that right? This has always been a point of confusion for us as we've used the libraries.

Thanks in advance,

- Kevin

Joan wrote:Hello,

When you are using compression, you need to select one compression option depending on the document you are converting. There is no need to select multiple compression options.

For Font Embedding, the settings can be complementary or not by example if you want to set FullFontEmbedding, you don't need to set Partial font Embedding too, but if you want to set Standard font embedding, you need to add partial font embedding too.

Hope this helps.
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

Here are more details, my above reply was not very clear and accurate.

Fonts embedding options do not overwrite each others, they are used commplementary with each others.

For font embedding, first you add 'FontEmbedding' option (= 10 Hex), to your call of FileNameOptions. This will specify that you want to embed fonts. If you don't add any other fonts embedding option the fonts are embedded partially.

If you add 'Standard Font embedding' standards fonts are embedded partially, if you 'Full Font Embedd' fonts are fully embedded, if you add 'Embed Licensed Fonts' licensed fonts are embedded. ( All these options are added to 'Embed Fonts')

Please find my comments about your statement.

Concerning your statement

<begin statement>
You can choose ONE of the following two options - if you do choose more than one, the topmost selected option will take effect:

FullEmbed
EmbedFonts

Joan: No you need to choose both of them to fully embed fonts.

If you do choose FullEmbed OR EmbedFonts, then you can choose ZERO or ANY combination of the following:

EmbedStandardFonts
EmbedLicensedFonts
EmbedSimulatedFonts

Joan: you need to choose first EmbedFonts, than add any of the above options in the list to it.

If you do not choose any of these, only the non-standard, non-licensed, non-simulated fonts will be embedded in the resultant PDF.

Joan: If you choose only 'Embed Fonts' = 10 Hex = 16 dec, only non licensed, non simulated, non-standard fonts will be partially embeded in the resultant PDF.

If FullEmbed is set, then the entire character set for the specified font types will be included in the resultant PDF, even if characters of that font are not used. If EmbedFonts is set, then only the used characters for the specified font types will be included in the resultant PDF.

Joan: Yes

<end statement>

Concerning the compression:

<begin statement>
You can choose ZERO or ONE of the following (but not more than one). If you do choose more than one, the first selected item in the list will take precedence:

AutoImageCompression
Color256Compression
CCITTCompression

Joan: You can choose ZERO or ONE of the list above. I am not sure how you want to choose more than one compression, each of these compressions is for a different file type. CCITT is for black and while documents, Jpeg is for Jpeg images, Color256 lowers the image colors to 256, and AutoImageCompression choose the compression that best suits each image automatically.

<end statement>

Hope this information is clearer.
trumpetinc

Post by trumpetinc »

Joan - first, thanks much for the clarification. You may want to ask your tech writer to add these descriptions to the manual so future users will know how it all works.

The reason that I would want multiple image compressions available is that many times, a document will consist of a black and white image, plus a 256 color GIF, plus a photograph (think of a Word document that contains a black and white heading graphic, a 256 color letterhead logo, and a full color photograph) . The print driver doesn't receive a single image - it receives 3 different images - so it would make a lot of sense to be able to determine which of the different compression types are available.

It would be silly to not use the appropriate compression type for each of those 3 different types of images (which, I suspect, is what the AutoImageCompression setting is all about).

Can you please confirm with your developers that turning on CCITT compression makes ALL images compressed with CCITT, regardless of their color depth? That just doesn't make sense (CCITT is a bi-tonal compression algorithm...). If I sent a color image when I only have CCITT enabled, does it not compress the color image?

Something about the current description of these particular settings just doesn't make sense...

Thanks!

- K
Joan wrote:Hello,

Joan: You can choose ZERO or ONE of the list above. I am not sure how you want to choose more than one compression, each of these compressions is for a different file type. CCITT is for black and while documents, Jpeg is for Jpeg images, Color256 lowers the image colors to 256, and AutoImageCompression choose the compression that best suits each image automatically.

Hope this information is clearer.
Dany
Amyuni Team

Post by Dany »

CCITT compression is only for Black and White images and will not affect color images no matter what the compression option is for color images.

The AutoCompression option works with color images and will apply the best compression option depending on the type of image. An image with a large number of colors such as a photographic image will be compressed using JPeg. An image with a low number of colors such as a screen image will be compressed using 256-color compression.
trumpetinc

Post by trumpetinc »

Thanks for the clarification Dany - this is what I expected. - K
Dany wrote:CCITT compression is only for Black and White images and will not affect color images no matter what the compression option is for color images.

The AutoCompression option works with color images and will apply the best compression option depending on the type of image. An image with a large number of colors such as a photographic image will be compressed using JPeg. An image with a low number of colors such as a screen image will be compressed using 256-color compression.