PDF Converter problem when writing to an opened file in XP

If you are a C/C++/C# developer and have any questions about using our products from your application here is the place to post them.
Oliver Chiu

PDF Converter problem when writing to an opened file in XP

Post by Oliver Chiu »

Hi,

I am using PDF Converter 2.10e. Recently I found out that there is a problem to print to an already opened PDF file under XP.

Under Win2000, the StartDoc() will popup an error message box saying:

There was an error found when printing the document "..." to "c:\...\...pdf". Do you want to retry or cancel the job?

User can click retry or cancel. If the user click cancel, the StartDoc() function return -1 and my program will handle it properly.

However, under XP, the StartDoc() is not responding, no error message and not returning. And the print spool just have the Error- print job hanging there. Nothing work until the user close the opened PDF file, then the StartDoc() return. This is bad cause the user may not know that they have that PDF file opened and nothing was responding.

Does anyone has a solution to solve this problem? I just want it to either return silently from the StartDoc() or do the same as in Win2000 that a popup message to notify the user.

Regards,
Oliver
Oliver Chiu

Post by Oliver Chiu »

I give up and use the work around way by checking the permission of the file right before I calling the StartDoc().