pdfDriverInit problem

If you are a VB developer and have questions about using our products from VB, here is the place to post them.
helintec

pdfDriverInit problem

Post by helintec »

I have the PDF creator v1.59 and use it in an application. More specificaly, I use the pdfDriverInit method to create a printer named "AK PDF Printer" when the application starts. This has been working in all installations of the application and in various versions of windows, until recently on a PC running Windows 2000 where it throwed an exception:

Error 1797: PDFDriverInit Failed.

I login as a user with administative privilleges, so there should be no problem with it. After that I ran the install utility specifying the above printer name and the pdfDriverInit method worked OK for the first time but I had the same problem on the second run, apparently because the printer is deleted when initialized with pdfDriverInit. I also ran install using the default printer name, but the pdfDriverInit still does not work.

I do not want to use the DriverInit method, since the printer created can be used by other applications as well and when these applications print they overwrite the last pdf file I had created with my application.

Could you please help me. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Dimitris
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

PDFDriverInit will install a new printer on the system. Under Windows 2000 only Administrators have the right to install a new printer on the system so PDFDriverInit will fail if your users are not administrators under 2000.

The only workaround is to install the printer using Install.exe and use DriverInit. If you upgrade to version 2.1 of the driver you will be able to install the printer on the system and keep it there without allowing users to print to it from other applications.

Hope this helps.