pdf converter under vfp 9

If you are a VFP developer and have any questions about using our products from VFP here is the place to post them.
szucker

pdf converter under vfp 9

Post by szucker »

I am using version 2.10f with the fllintf210.fll

When I

set reportbehavior 90

the pdf comes out garbled.

when I print reports the old way, the pdfs are fine.

any ideas?
lp

Post by lp »

Exactly, what do you mean by "garbled"?

I'm experiencing a similar trouble with the new report engine in vfp9...
Precisely, I get in trouble when I do

Code: Select all

set reportbehavior 90
and then I print to pdf

When using amyuni 2.10, I get all fonts rendered as low-res bitmaps (quite ugly) with a white, non-transparent background. Looking in the acrobat pdf reader I can see no font embedded, even if they should be there (as in engine 80).

Worse, using amyuni 2.50 all the words are replaced by black-filled rectangles, placed where each piece of text should be. Again, no font gets embedded...

Anyway switching back to the old engine (80) they both work as expected..

Are there compatibility issues?
Does anyone has an idea of what to look at? I'm looking for using the new engine but, as long as it doesn't work with amyuni drivers, I won't take the leap :?
Thanx in advance for any suggestion! :)

Luca

PS: I'm not using the .fll, I "declare" the functions I use, taking them from the dll..
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

When using SET REPORTBEHAVIOR = 90 everything is converted to images.

You need to set Postscript simulation on when printing using version 2.50.

It is recommended to keep the value at 80 because at 90, everything is converted to images and the file size is huge.

Hope this helps.
lp

Post by lp »

Thanks!
I just tried, as you suggested, to activate Postscript simulation and verified it is set with GetSimPostscript(hPrn).

Despite of that, I am unable to get a correct printing using version 2.50e (the latest version I found on your site, downloaded right today - before that I was using 2.50d): I still get black boxes instead of text, as if it were unable to rasterize fonts...

What you say about "everything being converted to images" is easy to see using drivers 2.10i-7: that older version let me print with the new engine, but it doesn't behave the way I guess it should, since it places a white background behind the text, so that you can see a white box if you have, like me, a darker background (i.e. a gray box behind the title text..)
As to the poor resolution, I guess I could tell the driver to use more DPIs, but I wonder why I cannot use the vector output instead of the rasterized one, which is obviously quite heavier..

The "strange" behaviour only happens when printing reports, not when directly sending text strings to the pdf printer, so I think it is related to the reportengine output... In fact, every (even simple) report doesn't output correctly with reportengine set to 90 and drivers 2.50...

My suspect is that the brand-new reportengine 90 built in vfp9 has some kind of "feature" that still needs to be fixed, but I still would like to check if it could be something related to the pdf-driver.. or, perhaps, a troublesome interaction between the two..

We are planning to switch to the new report engine as soon as it's safe to do so, thus it would be good to get it working...

Is there something that I could provide to help you fix the issue?
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

If you have a maintenance plan or you are under Free Warrranty you can send your report to support@amyuni.com to try reproducing this issue here.

Maybe this is related to the report you are printing.
Jose
Amyuni Team

Post by Jose »

Hello,

Joanna's suggestions should resolve the situation you are encountering.

However, if you can send a copy of the 2.10i-8 PDF document and a copy of the 2.50f document to support@amyuni.com we will take a closer look at these documents.

We post the results of what we find.
lp

Post by lp »

Hello
i can confirm that using drivers 3.01a the "black-boxes-instead-of-text" problem has been corrected (I'm using VFP9 SP2 and REPORTBEHAVIOR 90).
Furthermore, activating Postscript simulation also resolves the "opaque text background" issue.

Anyway, all is still rendered as images, so I'm looking for some way to either raise the output resolution or trigger the vectorial output...

That said, it's much better now :)
Joan
Amyuni Team

Post by Joan »

Hello,

You can higher the resolution of the PDF Converter printer up to 1200 dpi using SetResolution() if this is what you are looking for.

Joanna
Custom Brand the Amyuni PDF Printer Driver http://www.amyuni.com/en/developer/branding/index.html

Amyuni PDF Converter tested for true PDF performance. View results - http://www.amyuni.com/benchmark